_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell JU-88 interior need a resin upgrade?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
I have the Revell of Germany 1/32nd JU-88 in my stash, and have the Eduard Big Ed full treatment PE set on order. CMK has just announced a resin interior upgrade for the kit. Can someone who has built this plane tell me if it really needs the resin, or if the Big Ed is going to be enough?
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 09:16 PM UTC
I've nearly finished one OOB except for belts and the odd bit of added wire/brake line. Once you add the Eduard stuff I can't see why you'd need a resin interior,the kit parts are pretty good.I'd say the side walls ,consoles etc look busy and I don't have a problem with the kit seats either. It's very subjective but I guess the kit is so cheap (for what it is) that adding goodies is not prohibitively expensive. One thing I wish I'd had is the pre-cut canopy masks,all that masking really was a labour of love!
BTW I had a few minor fit issues with the interior,a bit like some of Eduard's own kits (Fw190 anyone?), some of the alignment/locations are a bit vague and this can have a "knock on effect" unless you are careful.I didn't exactly follow the kits instructions (for the interior) either as I could see potential problems there. Essentially I decided to build the sub assemblies on the bulkhead/radio wall and fit a big lump. I could see getting that bulkhead any way out of kilter was going to bite me in the A when I came to fit the wings!
Enjoy the build,it's huge.
Cheers
Steve
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thanks, Steve. The CMK upgrade isn't even out and will likely run $30-$50 if past performance is any indication of future prices. It's one thing that shocked me when I came over here from armor: you can't get away in most cases without a resin cockpit, at least with kits older than a few years.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC
I'm on the verge of getting this kit and highly recommend visiting LSP(Large Scale Planes) to get the complete lowdown on it. In depth Q&A with gentleman who provided measurements and details from museum example in Germany. Most excellant photos inside/out and some rare ref pics. I'm not taking anything away from this site,but LSP has been salivating over this release about 2 years before the kit's birth.
2 thumbs way up and awesome,
Rick
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Guttorm Fjeltstad is the gentleman in question.The Ju88 he and his colleagues are currently restoring is infact in Norway rather than Germany. It was recovered from lake Jonsvatnet in 2004.
The restoration site is here:
http://www.ju88.net/
The thread on LSP does indeed contain a wealth of tremendous references. As for the kit,it makes an excellent Ju88 and Guttorm himself has pointed out a few very minor inaccuracies or ommissions.I wouldn't,however, call it easy to build. The biggest problem is what to do with it when you finish it. It's bl**dy enormous!
Cheers
Steve
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
All of this still begs my original question: is the kit's interior good enough to carry the Eduard PE without the necessity of a resin cockpit? At what point is it overkill or just changing one form of upgrade with another?

I realize these are personal preferences in some cases: a resin cockpit doesn't always have the level of detailing of well-done PE, but is a kind of "one stop shopping" that avoids the need for wiring and other "fiddly bit" as you Brits call 'em, LOL!

But in some cases, there's a real substantive difference between a well-done resin upgrade and putting lipstick on a pig through a PE upgrade. For example, the Eduard set for the RoG BF-110 G is nice enough, but the kit cockpit is ALL WRONG, and the PE won't save it-- you need the hard-to-find Jerry Rutman resin cockpit (reviewed on Aeroscale by me here), and even that is problematical on certain levels.

I do agree this baby is huge, though. Very much looking forward to tackling it after my Hasegawa Galland FW-190 A6.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
Steve, thanks for filling in and dialing in what I was trying to say in my first post.
Bill- After what I have seen and read on LSP concerning the JU-88 office,many builders loved the kit set up for the 'A' edition with a minor concern for the seat belts. An easy fix if this bugs the builder. I see no blatant 'need' for an after market cockpit for the 'A' edition. I am not versed enough in Junkers to offer a thought on later editions and varients.
I intend to build mine OOB with a little scratch editions for glamour and bling,etc.
HTH,
Rick
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks, Rick.

I have the Eduard Big Ed set on order, and have Radu's 4-pack seatbelt upgrade in-house. I think I also have the Quickboost exhausts and ammo packs, but plan on otherwise building a straight BoB A version. I'm glad to hear I don't need to wait for the resin upgrade.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
I'm with Rick on this one. Comparing the kit cockpit with photos of the original I think it stands up very well. I'm guessing here but I reckon over half the kit parts are for the interior. The only glaring omission is the usual belts/harnesses which you've got covered.
Cheers
Steve
 _GOTOTOP