Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Proper Color for Me-109G
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 278 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
I need some help in identifying the proper paint to use for a Me-109G. The model is a cheap Monogram 1:48th scale kit that I will be using to practice freehand air brushing on. The kit directions indicate the following colors:

Light Blue is this equal to Tamyia XF-23
Black Green is this equal to Tamyia XF-27
Brown is this equal to Tamyia XF-10
Dark Green is this equal to Tamyia XF-61

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC
Have you already bought Tamiya paints or can you purchase another line of colors? Russell
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I need some help in identifying the proper paint to use for a Me-109G. The model is a cheap Monogram 1:48th scale kit that I will be using to practice freehand air brushing on. The kit directions indicate the following colors:

Light Blue is this equal to Tamyia XF-23
Black Green is this equal to Tamyia XF-27
Brown is this equal to Tamyia XF-10
Dark Green is this equal to Tamyia XF-61

Michael,
The colors referanced should be RLM 76, RLM 83,RLM 02
or RLM 75,74,76 combo. The scheme depends on what time frame u wish to model. Because its a "G" you could use any except for 70/71 scheme. hope this helps.
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you already bought Tamiya paints or can you purchase another line of colors? Russell

I have not purchased the paints yet. I do use Tamyia paints and like them alot for air brushing. I also use Model Masters and have some Life Color for figures.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi there. The only reason I asked is I have had great results with the Model Master Acryl line and Polly Scale line of paints as well. Both of course are acrylic and spray nicely through an airbrush.

What Todd said is correct for the colors. I would add that RLM84 is a fun color to play with although you will get a debate as to whether it was actually a RLM color or badly mixed RLM 76! Either way it's fun to use.

If you haven't tried the above mentioned lines of colors they are great and have the RLM color numbers printed on the bottles as well for ease of access and use. Hope this helps some Michael. Any more questions feel free to ask. Russell

P.S. Here are a couple of photos of a Me-109G-6 I just finished in 1/72 scale. I used RLM84 on the bottom of the aircraft and sides, also used RLM 82/81 for the camoflage. Thought you might like to see it. Take care.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
You are currently building the monogram Bf 109G-10 so any late war combination can be used. As for Tamyia reference RLM 81=XF 10, RLM 82/83 bright green X85, dark green XF61. Cross reference provided by ultimate model paint conversion chart. Which can be accessed via the web.
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there. The only reason I asked is I have had great results with the Model Master Acryl line and Polly Scale line of paints as well. Both of course are acrylic and spray nicely through an airbrush.

What Todd said is correct for the colors. I would add that RLM84 is a fun color to play with although you will get a debate as to whether it was actually a RLM color or badly mixed RLM 76! Either way it's fun to use.

If you haven't tried the above mentioned lines of colors they are great and have the RLM color numbers printed on the bottles as well for ease of access and use. Hope this helps some Michael. Any more questions feel free to ask. Russell

P.S. Here are a couple of photos of a Me-109G-6 I just finished in 1/72 scale. I used RLM84 on the bottom of the aircraft and sides, also used RLM 82/81 for the camoflage. Thought you might like to see it. Take care.

Thanks for the input. I have gone ahead and placed a order for both the Model Master colors and Tamyia colors I was missing. This will give me some more time to fix a few flaws the primer has revealed.

Mike
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are currently building the monogram Bf 109G-10 so any late war combination can be used. As for Tamyia reference RLM 81=XF 10, RLM 82/83 bright green X85, dark green XF61. Cross reference provided by ultimate model paint conversion chart. Which can be accessed via the web.

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart is a fantastic tool. I discovered it while posting my question here.

Mike
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
Good deal Michael. If I can be of anymore help, please ask. Russell
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
It's true that any late war combination may have been possible,though some are more likely than others! Depending on how accurate you want to be with a test piece a Werk Nummer or even date would probably give a good idea of how a particular aircraft was actually finished. Different production facilities had different "styles".They were however reasonably consistent within batches (if that's the right word).
Cheers
Steve
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's true that any late war combination may have been possible,though some are more likely than others! Depending on how accurate you want to be with a test piece a Werk Nummer or even date would probably give a good idea of how a particular aircraft was actually finished. Different production facilities had different "styles".They were however reasonably consistent within batches (if that's the right word).
Cheers
Steve

I have received some great responses here. I have to admit that I am rather naive in the proper paint schemes for any aircraft, let alone the Me 109 series. I’m also lacking in reference library at the moment. Does anyone have some recommendations for building a aircraft reference library?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hi Michael, we all have a love of aviation history and model building, a perfect combination here, so ask any questions you like, I'm sure someone would have an answer for you.

As to a library. If you are looking for reference materials I recommend, although I only after all these years only have two copies, the Squadron series of books on aircraft. Go to this link..... http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?offset=0
and you can find a lot of what you need. Hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Russell

P.S. Looking around your local bookstore can sometimes yield great results. I have a book that I've used, although the internet has somewhat displaced book use, by Bill Gunston on WW2 aircraft that is quite good. See if you can google him and see what you come up with.
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael, we all have a love of aviation history and model building, a perfect combination here, so ask any questions you like, I'm sure someone would have an answer for you.

As to a library. If you are looking for reference materials I recommend, although I only after all these years only have two copies, the Squadron series of books on aircraft. Go to this link..... http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?offset=0
and you can find a lot of what you need. Hope this helps. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Russell

P.S. Looking around your local bookstore can sometimes yield great results. I have a book that I've used, although the internet has somewhat displaced book use, by Bill Gunston on WW2 aircraft that is quite good. See if you can google him and see what you come up with.

Sorry it took so long to reply. That thing called work got in the way. Thank you for the info on Bill Gunston.

Mike
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
You are welcome Mike! Keep 'em flying! Russell
 _GOTOTOP