_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Exhaust stains, etc
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC
I'd like to know what other members' favourite methods of weathering warbirds would be, primarily thinking of exhaust stains and weathering around machine guns, etc.

I work mainly in 1/72 scale, but sometimes also 1/48. I do have some nice pastels I could use, but how to best apply and fix them is something I'd like tips about.

TIA
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Alex. I use the Tamiya Weathering Masters shown here for the exhaust stains and gun port stains. The little applicator is easy to use, and I apply black first then some brown and grey along the edges to get a "depth" of colours.

Cheers, D
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:31 AM UTC
Same here Mr. Damian (but I only add black and give depth with other ways of weathering)

Cheers Nick
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks, guys, Is there anyway to fix these once applied?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
I've had quite good results with airbrushed varnish. Go easy and apply several light, misted-on coats. Too heavy coats can mar the appearance of the pastels (e.g. cause it to all but disappear).
Hand-brushing is a no-no, as it will only cause the pastels to mix with the varnish and flow all over the place.
I don't know about spray varnishes, but I'm sure you'd need to be extra careful to avoid drenching the pastels.

stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
I airbrush my exhaust stains using all sorts of greys/browns/blacks to suit. I never bother with residue from machine guns etc as it is so rarely evident in my references.
Cheers
Steve
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Thanks to both of you. I'll guess I'll experiement with a few methods and see what happens. I haven't completed a model with an airbrush yet, so have a lot to learn about weathering with it. I'm waiting for the colours to arrive so I can complete my 'Rufe'.

I'll share the finished model with you all.
 _GOTOTOP