Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Douglas Parade of Propeller Power
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

I started my 1/72 MPM DB-8A 3N this morning along with the Nimrod for another campaign.

That's all so far. As usual for an MPM kit, lovely fine detail and fit has been great so far...
Cheers all
Warren
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
The other day I received from Mal of Miracle Masks, 4 pages of 1/48 scale masks. Never having used any masks previously, I was really curious to see just how effective, and easy they were to use.

I went with the largest size mask, and was surprised to find that they're translucent, which makes exact placement fool proof. They stick very well to a painted surface, but didn't lift any paint off when I removed them.

You can see that the wheels/tires would be nearly impossible to paint without the use of masks.

And here's the finished wheels, installed on the landing gear.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
Well, today I finished my Douglas propeller campaign entry: The Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Scale TBD-1 Devastator, Midway version. The hardest part of the build was the last step, attaching and hanging the folding wings. GWH was smart enough to make the attachment folding mechanism out of white metal rather then plastic, as it's going to have to bear the load of the outer wings until I make the wing tip to fuselage brackets to further support them. Will be doing that in the next day or two.

After the Hasegawa 1/48 scale SBD-4 Dauntless build, the GHW TBD-1 Devastator certainly should be classified as state of the art. It's that good of a kit. All the parts fit, and are well detailed. The wing ribbing is exceptional, and caused no issues, which was something I was concerned about. Decals, with the use of the Microscale system, laid down without any problems over the wing ribbing.

What I felt fell far short in quality was the vinyl masks. Most were too large, cut to the wrong shape, and just didn't stick to the curved clear canopy sections. I thought about using the masks for the blue circles, and white stars, but the stars have rounded tips (?). So I went with the decals, and was very glad I did. Also the individual canopy sections are way to thick to stack. I ended up ruining a few of them trying to work around that issue. They also supply a one piece canopy, but cutting it up into the needed sections wouldn't solve my problem. I ended up ordering from the Squadron Shop the vacuum form canopy for the Accurate Miniature's kit, which worked out just fine.

Here's some pictures of the finished TBD-1.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Just remembered to upload a few pictures to the campaign gallery to qualify for my ribbon.

Richard, thanks so much for hosting this great campaign. Will be sticking around to follow the other builds till the very end.

Joel
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Really a well done addition to your collection, Joel.

Are the guns slightly off, or is that just the photo angle? Nothing to fret over, though.
Well done
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC
Great work Joel!
Please post photos in campaign gallery.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:43 AM UTC
Ben & Richard, thanks. And yes Ben, the guns are off. I need to gently realign them. Only noticed it after I posted the pictures.

The main goal for me with this build was to develop a weathering method that would show the effects of the salt air, and humidity in the South Pacific on aircraft. The aircraft didn't fade/weather uniformly. I tried a few different methods, but settled on using my airbrush applying a few various light colors in a random pattern. While not perfect by any means, it's the best I've yet to achieve.

Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ben & Richard, thanks. And yes Ben, the guns are off. I need to gently realign them. Only noticed it after I posted the pictures.

The main goal for me with this build was to develop a weathering method that would show the effects of the salt air, and humidity in the South Pacific on aircraft. The aircraft didn't fade/weather uniformly. I tried a few different methods, but settled on using my airbrush applying a few various light colors in a random pattern. While not perfect by any means, it's the best I've yet to achieve.

Joel

Very nice Joel. Leave the guns where they are they add a little character. Makes it stand out a little more.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC
Warren, thanks for the positive comment, and idea about the guns. It's just such a small detail that I missed.
Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC
I wish I had a dollar for every time I post a photo and then notice something out of line!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I had a dollar for every time I post a photo and then notice something out of line!

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 02:24 PM UTC
Richard, if that was the case for me too. Instead of buying another new Hyundai, I'd be buying a BMW for cash.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard, if that was the case for me too. Instead of buying another new Hyundai, I'd be buying a BMW for cash.

I would have a Rolls-Royce Wraith in the garage!

The DB8A is all but finished, build wise..

Next up will be masking up the canopy and putting it in place before I start painting the wee beasty..

Regards
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
Dang ! I forgot the undercarriage again..

There is an old saying among pilots, there are two types of pilots, the ones who have done a wheels up landing, and those about to have a wheels up landing..
Ready for painting.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 09:17 PM UTC
Got the first colour in the camo scheme on today.

Green had to go first as the other paints I am using are acrylics and this is an enamel.. I think the enamel would have damaged the acrylic paint if I had done it the other way. Not sure about the green but that is the one MPM call for. May need to do some more research...

Cheers
Warren
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
Warren, Acrylics once dry are rock hard. You can easily use enamels over them. If you're concerned about bleeding/staining, just seal with Pledge/Future between paint applications.

All my weathering washes and filters are enamels, and artist tube oils thinned with Mineral Spirits. They're applied over airbrushed acrylics that have been sealed with Future.

Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, Acrylics once dry are rock hard. You can easily use enamels over them. If you're concerned about bleeding/staining, just seal with Pledge/Future between paint applications.

All my weathering washes and filters are enamels, and artist tube oils thinned with Mineral Spirits. They're applied over airbrushed acrylics that have been sealed with Future.

Joel

Hi Joel.

Thanks for the advice my friend. In my other life modelling targets, sorry, AFVs, I also use oil based pigments etc over acrylics, but I have never used Humbrol Enamels over them and was just being cautious. Many many years ago I applied some Tamiya spray enamel over some acrylic primer and it crazed immediately.. hence my caution..

Cheers mate
Warren
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 06:54 AM UTC
That'll be because Tamiya sprays are lacquers. You really need a barrier coat, and dust them on a bit at a time when you're applying them over either acrylics or enamels if you don't want them to eat your previously applied paints.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That'll be because Tamiya sprays are lacquers. You really need a barrier coat, and dust them on a bit at a time when you're applying them over either acrylics or enamels if you don't want them to eat your previously applied paints.

Its OK Jessie as I wouldn't use a Tamiya spray can in a pink fit now.. too expensive and the pressure in them too high for small jobs. I like my airbrushes much better..

Cheers
Warren
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
Just to confuse the situation a tad more, I use plan Jane Lacquer Thinner with Tamiya acrylics when I need to do fine free hand work. The LC breaks down the acrylic paint particles much finer then the X20-A Alcohol based thinner I use the rest of the time. I apply this right over the previous acrylic coats, and never have had a problem. The biggest issue of course is the odor, which is why I limit it's use.

Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 07:40 AM UTC
I thought I better check on the validity of that green and I think it may be just a little (read alot) too bright... Should be much darker so I will check other manufacturers kits to see what colour they call out for the green on other dutch aircraft of the time.
Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hello Everyone.
Paint is finished on the DB-8A. I ended up using Gunze H406 CHocolate, Tamiya XF-27 Black Green and Tamiya XF-60 Desert Yellow..

I ended up having to go back and spray the sand color again as i had too much overspray using the paper mask method. This nodel is small enough that I just used masking tape and enlarged plans to give the masking scheme.
Last I sprayed chocolate brown again..

.. and installed the main undercarriage. Alas I have misplaced the tail wheel.. Hopefully I will find it a bit later.
Cheers
Warren
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
" and installed the main undercarriage. Alas I have misplaced the tail wheel"

Warren welcome to my world!I put parts in a safe place and the when the time comes I can not find that safe place!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

" and installed the main undercarriage. Alas I have misplaced the tail wheel"

Warren welcome to my world!I put parts in a safe place and the when the time comes I can not find that safe place!

Amazing, I have the same issues no matter how careful I am. The carpet Monster moved in years ago, and is still living high off the hog here.

Warren, so far the paint scheme looks really good. Looking forward to seeing your next update.
Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
Richard and Joel,
I am not sure what causes the problem but it is not the carpet monster this time. Maybe is is the modelling elves at work.
Maybe advancing years could also be partly to blame.
Cheers
Warren