Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL:- Airfx III campaign
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice video; however, I'm sure I don't stand alone in adding this to the Top 100 of things never to watch again.

Ibid!
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I shall not be building today as I have been otherwise engaged with a 60th Birthday, mine

Well Happy Birthday Mike!!

Michael

Michael, Happy belated Birthday.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:19 AM UTC
Made a start on the S-Boat yesterday. Started with cleaning up the hull and doing some test fitting. Fit is not good and will need some more aggressive tactics to beat into submission. I think it will also need some reinforcing on the inside. Determined to do it.

Test fit also revealed how big the boat actually is.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I shall not be building today as I have been otherwise engaged with a 60th Birthday, mine

Well Happy Birthday Mike!!

Michael

Michael, Happy belated Birthday.

And now a musical interlude more in keeping with the Airfix Timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYCPB7a8ks
RedDuster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:28 AM UTC
A bit more progress, the bomb load.

fitted to their racks.

The alternatives, smaller bombs and a fuel tank.

One small issue, I made a mistake in trying to paint extracolour with a hairy stick, will correct when it warms up so I can get the windy stick out, can only spray outside.

More soon,

I hope

Si
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thank you for all the belated birthday wishes, I'm still celebrating
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:12 AM UTC
you guys didn't start without me did you? naughty airfixers!

I've enlisted in this one of course, and reading through the entire thread it looks like there is no cut off year in this one and any airfix kit is fair game, is that right?

and to sort of answer my own question here, I picked up the new tool defiant and dornier 17 a couple of days ago but, seeing as how these kits are already being built here I may go for some classic plastic, I do have a late 70's F-111 kit I earmarked for a future airfix build at the end of airfix 2, but there's a build of that happening here too! I'll get myself up into the loft to inspect the stash, no doubt there's stuff up there I've forgot I own, and get back to you with what I intend to build.
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I've enlisted in this one of course, and reading through the entire thread it looks like there is no cut off year in this one and any airfix kit is fair game, is that right?

Hi Phil, actually the build ends on 30th June, just got to the Campaigns tab on the navigation bar, all of them are listed there. For this campaign ANY kit qualifies from 1/1200 upwards.

Happy building
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi folks!
Here's my entry to the campaign - Spitfire Mk.I.

I'm going to build it mostly out of the box, with just some basic improvements - like PE seatbelts and some scratch wires, plumbings etc.

And here's what I've done so far.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
Welcome to the campaign Michal and Phil!
Removed by original poster on 02/04/15 - 22:25:54 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 02/04/15 - 22:27:38 (GMT).
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC
@ Mike- i didn't make myself too clear as regards a cut off date, what i was talking about was that in the last two airfix campaigns there was a rule that no kit tooled after 1977 for the first campaign and i think 1980 for the second would be eligible, thats the cut off date i was referring to, although the speed i build at a campaign measured in years might be appropriate!

@ Richard, its nice to be on board! as i predicted in my earlier post a trip to the stash dug out a kit i totally forgot i had! as it turns out, i can satisfy my dornier craving with this kit-

getting it out of the loft is as far as i'll get tonight, hopefully tomorrow i'll have something stuck together, or at least the box open!
firstcircle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking build everyone well my little project is now all done ...

Like it... now it's finished the sea looks great. Well done on the rigging too!

Yes, cold weather has made airbrushing sessions in the garage a bit of a strain, but I will post some pix of the now partially painted interior of the SdKfz 250 shortly.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Mike- i didn't make myself too clear as regards a cut off date, what i was talking about was that in the last two airfix campaigns there was a rule that no kit tooled after 1977 for the first campaign and i think 1980 for the second would be eligible, thats the cut off date i was referring to, although the speed i build at a campaign measured in years might be appropriate!

@ Richard, its nice to be on board! as i predicted in my earlier post a trip to the stash dug out a kit i totally forgot i had! as it turns out, i can satisfy my dornier craving with this kit-

getting it out of the loft is as far as i'll get tonight, hopefully tomorrow i'll have something stuck together, or at least the box open!

Are you going to do a Spanish Civil War version?
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
At last I've got a bit of space on the workbench for this campaign's entry - here it is then!

Looks like I'm going to have fun with this one, he said, reaching for the tube of filler.

Cheers Everybody!
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At last I've got a bit of space on the workbench for this campaign's entry - here it is then!

Looks like I'm going to have fun with this one, he said, reaching for the tube of filler.

Cheers Everybody!

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes together.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
Model coming together, not to much filler required:-

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 04:29 AM UTC
Wow, Richard. For an Airfix old-tool, that Dominie looks like a nice kit. Good looking little jet too.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Richard. For an Airfix old-tool, that Dominie looks like a nice kit. Good looking little jet too.

Thanks Ben
This model is going together nicely,as you pointed out its an old release but the fit is good.
I will copy the decals and make my own on the laser printer.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
Ok, first bit of progress to report. The first issue that needed addressing was the complete lack of cockpit detail. A little Airwaves PE helped out, plus a spare resin bang seat left over from a Sea Vixen to finish off. After priming, the bang seat and cockpit had a coat of black acrylic, followed by a dark grey/black dry brush to bring out the detail. The instrument panel was finished with a decal.

Cheers Everybody!
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC
Just a little update on the Defiant. The fuselage is now in one piece and looking good. The biggest problem I have had is with the landing lights. Having lost one to the concrete monster I decided to try using Superglue, BIG mistake, I don't know what happened but instead of a lovely clear blob it looks like a very bubbly mess. Removing this I notice it is soft not, as I thought it would be, hard, perhaps the glue is too old or perhaps I should not use Gel. No worries but what to do? Time to experiment, I have a bottle of Humbrol Clearfix, it;s a very useful adhesive if a bit 'stringy'. We shall see

Onwards and downwards
BravoTwoZero
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

These are my entries for this campaign. I remember seeing these combination on a scale model competition back in the 1990s and I've always wanted to build one. It's the 1:76 Scammel TankTransporter and the MKII Matilda.

I hope I can finish these in time!

-Joseph
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 04:51 AM UTC
A quick update in a (partially) frustrating evening.

As you can see it is comng together nicely. I took the bold step of sticking the wings, rudder and tailplanes onto the fuselage, all fits lovely. The prop is not attached neither are the canopy or turret glazing. So what was frustrating about that? well, nothing, the frustration came from adding the radiators fronts into their housing, the big one went together well but the smaller one, oh dear. I thought I had taken enough care to prevent the front 'pinging' off into the wild blue yonder, failure it took a trip. I hoped that a sweep up of the floor would yield the part, it took 3 attempts but I finally found the little bg. It is now firmly fixed in place.

The canopy is not the one I am planning to use, the open choice is what I am going for, that is alll masked and ready.

Next step, adding the radiators, drybrushing the turret and cleaning ready for painting.

Oh yes, using the Clearfix worked, just a bit more to add to get it flush.

Onwards and downwards
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
[quote]Hello everyone,

These are my entries for this campaign. I remember seeing these combination on a scale model competition back in the 1990s and I've always wanted to build one. It's the 1:76 Scammel TankTransporter and the MKII Matilda.

I hope I can finish these in time!

Welcome Joseph!