Stuka info
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm working on a 1/48 Hasagawa Stuka and have run into a bit of a problem. There is a clear part that goes underneath the pilot, right behind the engine cowling. How much of this is supposed to be painted or is it to stay clear? I have looked over many google images and cannot find a reference and the instructions don't help. I'm guessing it is a window so the pilot could look behind him.

Thanks!!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:59 PM UTC
Hi

you've asked a difficult question. I just browsed through Griehls "Junkers Ju 87 Stuka" and I only found a few pix which give a hint. I would leave it open, except for the G series as it would not have much value in this role ... maybe also overpainted in the night harrassment role

This is just an educted guess, as it is not really/ clearly visible in the pictures (B and D variants).

best wishes

Steffen
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
I think it`s part of the bomb aiming system . The pilot sees the target through this window then goes into the dive straight over the target. Aquiring it in the gun sight as the aircraft goes vertical.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC
if I remember well from a visit to a museum there is a large square window in the bottom of the stuka fuselage. Looking through it from the pilots seat you can see the cross-formed shape of the support for the 500kg bomb that hangs under the stuka fuselage.

I have been told that this window in combination with that cross was the pilot's tool to aim at a target on the ground when diving.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
Thanks all!

That is what I thought too, that it was a bomb site. Its funny that all the images of models and the prototypes, none showed a good pic of the belly.

-Derek
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi there

You can see the bomb-aiming window among our Walkaround pics of the Ju 87 at Hendon.

All the best

Rowan
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thank you so much! Now I can sleep tonight :-)
 _GOTOTOP