Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Need some criticism on my Revell Me 262 A-1
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:46 AM UTC
I'm in the process of putting on decals on my Revell 1/72 Me 262 A-1 and then I will do some weathering, but I would like some opinions and suggestions on what I have so far.

By the way, this is my 4th model built (except for a lot of failed kid projects) and it's the first airplane. (other models were u-boats)

Here is the link to the picture:
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/13711/IMG_1747.jpg

I'm already aware of my failed freehand canopy painting. Suggestions for next time?

The paints I used is Xtracolor enamel for the underside (light blue) and Misterkit for the others. The grey seems a bit too light in my opinion, what do you think?

Overall, this has been a fun project, but a major PITA. I forgot to add weight in the nose, so I have to fix that issue somehow. The parts are too fragile (should have added the wheels last) and some other lessons learned. I do have a larger Tamiya kit that I will build in the future and hopefully reduce the mistakes I did the first time.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Ion,

So far it looks to be a nice, clean build. The gray might seem a bit light but then again, you can consider it 'scaLE EFFECT'.

tHE GREEN ON THE CANopyy, acrylic or enamel? Either way, take a toothpick and lightly chisel the extra paint. Or take the clear parts sprue and cut a chisel edge to it, and use it. I read clear sprue on the clear parts don't scratch--I've done it and sometimes it does, sometimes not.

After you have the decals on, consider sealing them with a gloss and then give the Vogel a thin wash. Also consider a very light (almost unnoticeable) mottle of a tan or gray to break up the uniformity of the green and gray.

And keep up the good work!
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:00 PM UTC
Nice job! If this is your first aircraft, I would be pleased indeed! Far, far away from my first plane. Canopies are always a pain in the rear quarters, especially at 1/72. I went from hand painting canopies to tape masking, but finally have enjoyed the use of liquid masking. You can put it on manipulate it after it dries, and set up the canopy for final shooting. Play around and find what you like. But most of all lets see more of your work!
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 01:29 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the encouragement, guys. My other models are pretty unimpressive since this is my second airbrushed model. Here is my first one http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/16311/final11.jpg

It's a 1/72 typ. XXIII u-boat. That was also my first attempt at weathering so I got a little carried away there with too much rust, instead of focusing on other things such as paint fading, etc.

The green on the canopy is acrylic. Everything is acrylic except for the light blue on the underside and sides of the aircraft. Fred, when you mean mottle, should I spray it with the airbrush? Very light solution of like flesh tan? After I sealed the decals? (by the way, Micro set and sol are wonderful!)

Brian, thanks for your comments. I considered masking it with tape, but I got a little too impatient. What do you use for liquid masking?
Thanks again for all the help!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Good first attempt, The green seems a little too green tho
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you use for liquid masking?

I use humbrol's brand of liquid masking agent. White glue is also said to be able to work good, but I've never tried it yet...
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
I'm using a mix of 60:40 white glue to water - with some craft acrylic paint to give it a bit of colour - works best on a gloss finish.

Other than that Humbrol Maskol is the business. - Or purchase Eduard pre cut painting masks - not sure of the extent of the range in 72 scale, they have loads in 48 scale

Andy
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC
The paint work of the camo looks very well done, also the decaling, no silvering or other defects can be seen.
The angle and zoom of the pic don´t let a complete view of the bird, I´m not sure but it seems to be some gap in the wing to fuselage joint, also in the tail palnes.
Nice work, keep on modelling and enjoy
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:09 AM UTC
Just wanted to add my two cents worth. The green looks fine, RLM 83 I suppose? The mottling on the sides of the fuselage look very well done as well. Makes me want to build a 262 as well. Take care. Russell
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Being a beginner, these are very important to me so that I can improve myself.

Here is a post decal picture:

Here are links to 3 more pictures, but only the one above shows the true colors of the plane as I had the best lighting in it. The other pictures have been retouched for clarity, but the colors aren't accurate.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/PH0T0_ENTRY_Z/15234/plane2.jpg
http://photos.kitmaker.net/PH0T0_ENTRY_Z/15234/plane3.jpg
http://photos.kitmaker.net/PH0T0_ENTRY_Z/15234/plane4.jpg

Weathering comes next.
 _GOTOTOP