_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Down Low.Tamiya P-47 Finished Photos
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:48 AM UTC
This is my entry for the Down Low Campaign.
Its the Tamiya P47 Razorback in 1:72.
Built oob and using Aztec Decals to depict the P47 of Lt Sam Stamps of 63FS,56FG early 1944.
Painted with Tamiya Acrylics,with Humbrol enamels for the details.The model was given about 5 oil washes of Burnt Umber and an overspray of Tamiya Smoke before being Matt Varnished. Paint chips are from a silver pencil.
Here are the pics,I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed researching and building the model,which I feel is my best project so far.

Comments and advice for future builds always welcome.
Nige
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC
Looks really nice Nige, Like I said before I really like the fading. I don't know if it was in this thread or another but you mentioned going even more stark next time due to the way that the clear coats blend it all together. I honestly like it as is, but do you think some fading could be done after the clear coats (almost like a post shading). I ask because when I try to do this on my p-47 (which I will after seeing yours) I am hoping to have a better understanding of what it will look like in the end. I am afraid of the idea of overdo it early so it will blend and end up looking like I want it to - probably would just end up looking like junk with my luck .

Anyway, again great job. I commend you on your constant bravery and willingness to push your envelope of skills - you are an inspiration to big chickens like me...

Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 09:16 AM UTC
Allen.
Thanks for your comment and very kind words. I like to try and attempt something new and different on every build. I have a couple of projects planned that will involve some surgery on the kits and Im partly looking forward to and partly dreading that
After being away for a few days working and looking at the P47 with fresh eyes,Im extremely happy with the way the fading has turned out, but will still probably go a bit further next time I do it.
I dont think it would work trying to lighten it up a bit later on in the build.The Klear darkens the fading effect and misty coats of Tamiya Smoke blend and darken it even further.So I think its definately a case of "taking away" rather than adding to the faded look.
Im trying to decide what to build next but cant make my mind up
Nige
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
I really like yor faded effect too. And the nose art of course.
 _GOTOTOP