_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-15 missing wing?
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:40 AM UTC
Does anybody know the reason why a f-15 is able to fly on one wing????? is it just the aeronautical design of the F-15. Here link: http://shock.military.com/Shock/images.do?displayContent=78594
Thanks Guys!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
Two things - the fuselage is unbelievably aerodynamic, designed like a lifting body, the wings are more for control than flight and - if you put enough power behind anything it will fly. He we still a damned good pilot to keep it in the air and get back safe.
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hey CRS,

Thanks A bunch. I can't believe he could get it back in one peace. Thanks again.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
just to add, i read an interview with the pilot somewhere, and he said that due to the triple redundancy, and shut off valves he did'nt lose any hydraulics so apart from a missing wing! the plane still worked, plus the stabilators generated quite a lot of lift on their own.
but still.......thats one lucky guy!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
The F-15 is quite an aircraft, several of my Engineer friends at McDonnell Douglas swore it would fly without wings, but none of them wanted to ride in it in that condition.

There is nothing like watching an F-15 roll down the runway, at Lambert, suck up it's gear, go vertical on full afterburner, and go out of sight straight up. It is one of the few, if not the only, aircraft that can accelerate through Mach 1 going straight up.( it actually does go Ballistic) Not bad for a plane first flown in 1972.
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 07:16 AM UTC
Go Mach 1 vertical is absolutely crazy! Most aircraft stall after that right? Plus busting out the afterburners and blasting it going straight up is something else. I can't imagine the G's that are effecting the pilot.
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC
I'm sure the ground crew had to hose out the cockpit after the pilot saw his missing wing!
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:19 AM UTC
Yeah I definitely agree
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:49 PM UTC
The bigger question of course is how much paper work had to be signed!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The F-15 is quite an aircraft, several of my Engineer friends at McDonnell Douglas swore it would fly without wings, but none of them wanted to ride in it in that condition.

There is nothing like watching an F-15 roll down the runway, at Lambert, suck up it's gear, go vertical on full afterburner, and go out of sight straight up. It is one of the few, if not the only, aircraft that can accelerate through Mach 1 going straight up.( it actually does go Ballistic) Not bad for a plane first flown in 1972.

i saw one do that at an airshow, it just pointed it nose straight up an vanished! and the usaf sargeant who was doing a running commentary said "and it disappears into the east anglian skies" however we were actually in lincolnshire, and when my swambo pointed this out to me i replied "it probaly IS in east anglia by now!"
i'm not really a modern jets person, but this display (the one and only time i've seen an F15 fly up close) was really impressive.
zoomie50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
There's also another reason he was able to save it. By reseting the flight control computers the F-15s computers will compensate for any damaged flight controls. And the fuselage also acts as a sort of lifting surface.If it's the pic I'm thinking of, it's of an Israli F-15 that clipped an A-4. They actually repaired the F-15 and flew it again. Now thats a tough plane and a good pilot.
Jerry
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 02:15 AM UTC
I actually saw an interview with the two pilots on the History Channel. After the collision, the aircraft was venting fluids of some type, probably avgas. Neither of the brave flyboys could see the wing was missing because of the venting while in flight. Apparently, after a while, another aircraft showed up and did a fly around to relay the damage report to the pilot. He decided to stay with it and landed it safely, albiet at a higher rate of speed. He did not believe the wing was really missing until he touched down and could check out the damage. He said after that, all the Israeli pilots wanted to switch over to the F-15.
 _GOTOTOP