_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Huey help
jvazquez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hey folks, I just picked up Dragons 1/35 scale UH-1D. I know it has a few issues but overall it looks to be a nice build. With a few updates and some corrections, it looks like a real solid looking kit.
Heres where I'm stumped. Instead of doing the typical Vietnam era Huey, I want to do a slick from the early 80's, particuliary ones used in the Grenada invasion. Other then some minor mods, I would think most of those hueys would be the same. Would anyone have any info or pictures and details on some Hueys in Army service in the early 80's? Thanks!

Jim
grandadjohn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Other then placement of some antenna, there were no major changes in the Huey from it's Vietnam brother. Squadron has many books on the Huey which should help you. I'm sure there are other books out there also
bounce19712
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC
the rambo II movie will show you some good detail ...
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
A lot of the D models were upgraded to UH-1H standard, they were pretty similar and were fitted with the T53-L-13 engine. It had more power and was able to carry 13 troops. Another recognition feature is the relocation of the pilot tube from the nose to the roof. Other upgrades over the 80’s were new avionics, improved composite rotor blades, countermeasures equipment such as chaff-flare dispensers, cable cutters, warning receivers and infrared jammers. As for Hueys used in the invasion of Grenada, none. The UH-60 Black Hawks was used in the initial invasion. As John said there are many books out with great pics, also doing a image search yields many reference pics and information.
jvazquez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys!
 _GOTOTOP