_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
In-Box Review - Eduard 1/72 Nieuport Ni-17
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
Up until recently, most of the 1/72 Nieuport Ni-17 kits on the market were looking particularly dated – all until Eduard recently released their version of this famous aircraft in 1/72 scale. Previously released in a “Flyboys” boxing, Eduard has released this fine kit in a “Dual Combo” boxing with authentic markings. The kit comes in Eduard’s most recent style of box with the orange strip along the top. The box art shows a very dramatic picture of Sergeant Maurice Boyau’s Ni-17 of Escadrille N.77 flaming a German balloon.

Opening the box reveals a large number of goodies. Immediately apparent is that this was not simply a scaling down of their 1/48 versions. Obviously, being a “Dual Combo” kit, there are enough parts to build two complete kits.

There is a total of 82 plastic parts (41 per aircraft), which are moulded in Eduard’s usual buff coloured plastic, and the mouldings are up to Eduard’s usual excellent standard - clean and crisp with no flash. The wing rib detail is restrained and subtle – perfect for this scale. Initial dry fitting of the parts indicates an almost perfect fit all round.

Now onto the details - there are enough parts here to build the kits without any of the photo-etched goodies, suggesting a “low-tech” release may be possible in the future. Two styles of cowling are included, each with different stiffening ribs. Two styles of upper wing are included in each kit – one with the open centre section and another with a faired over centre section. Interestingly, there are parts to allow the modeller to build the kit with either a 110hp LeRhone or a 80hp LeRhone engine, and the kit also includes the cut down cowling seen on the Ni-11 and Ni-21 aircraft – this will allow an easy conversion to either of these versions of the Nieuport with relative ease (thanks Eduard!). The Lewis and Vickers guns are also especially well done. Included also are 4 different styles of windshield, as well as a “cone de penetration” as fitted to some aircraft.

There are 94 photo-etched parts (47 per aircraft), with the seat belts and instrument gauges being pre-coloured which makes painting easier (although some of the gauges are printed off centre on my example – not a big deal however). The photo-etched parts replace some of the kit parts, namely the kit seat, interior frame work and other fine details including an excellent Lewis Gun mount for the top wing. The seat is especially well done with the fine lightening holes being present.

There are two sets of masks included for details such as the wheels, windscreens and other markings. These are in the usual Kaboke material favoured by Eduard.

Now onto the decals – they are in perfect register and no doubt will be easy to handle like Eduards other decals. There are decals for 5 French machines as follows: –

-Sergeant Maurice Boyau’s Ni-17 of Escadrille N.77, summer 1917;
-Sous Lieutenant Geroges Gynemer of Escadrille N.3, August 1916;
-Sous Lieutenant Charles Nungesser of Escadrille N.65, summer 1916;
-Adjutant Pierre Pendaries of Escadrille N.69, 1916-1917;
-Lieutenant Onokichi Isobe of Escadrille C.1, December 1917

Enough national insignias are present to allow twocomplete models to be decaled. There are only French markings included in the kit – I dare say Eduard will have future releases with British, Italian and Russian markings.

The instructions come in a fine 12 page colour booklet with a brief history on the aircraft, a parts break down, paint break down, diagrammatic instructions, and colour scheme profiles. All alternative parts are tagged to the applicable colour scheme in most cases – in some cases, such as in the case of the windscreens, Eduard do not state which style goes with which markings, so some research will be required to get it right. Also included is a rigging diagram. Colour profiles for all of the colour schemes are included in the instructions, although interestingly, Boyau’s marking scheme is not assigned a scheme letter and all that is included is a side profile on the front cover fo the booklet, making selection of the correct parts and wing markings difficult. Why Eduard has done this I am not sure.

Overall, this looks like a fantastic kit that will build up into a beautiful little model. I have no hesitation in saying that this looks to be the best Ni-17 on the market in this scale and I dare say it will hold this title for some time to come. Well done Eduard!

I will be building this kit completely out of the box in the coming weeks (all whilst moving house!! Wish me luck!) – stay tuned for an article on Aeroscale to follow shortly thereafter.

Many thanks to Aeroscale for sending me the Review sample (and to Stephen Lawson for making it happen!).

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:57 PM UTC
Greetings Brad!
I have no doubts that you can work wonders with these little jewels. Model On!
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi all - this one is done - here is a teaser:

I'll be sending a review through shortly to the Aeroscale admin folks using their online submission tool so it may appear on the site soon (if it's good enough and if I can work the online forms!).

Cheers,

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
Wow! Nicely done Brad! Most impressive. What was the best part of the build itself? Did they go together well?
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC
Nice looking kit and great build Brad.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Looks like Brad is at it again! Remember this 1/72 Nieuport Combo build? He posted the first one completed on Sunday, July 08, 2007. The second is in progress as a diorama.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 03:07 PM UTC
You have my full attention on this one Brad .

Good luck with the house move
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
Very much rushed, but here it is:

BC
 _GOTOTOP