Hosted by Rowan Baylis
new JG history from Eric Mombeek
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC

...just arrived for Luftwaffe fans - Volume 1 of a comprehensive history of the 'Jagdgeschwader of the aces'. Covering the period from 1919 that led to the establishment of JG 2 and the subsequent deployment of the Richthofen in the Westfeldzug through the Battle of Britain to December 1940, 'In the skies of France' presents a day by day chronology and many new first hand accounts, detailing for the first time the story of the Richthofen's operations from Beaumont-le-Roger, Bernay, Cherbourg, Octeville, Théville, Couvron, St. Quentin, Signy, Evreux, Cézanne, Calais, Oye, Monceau St Vaast... among others.

Written and researched over a twenty year period, the authors (co-written with Roba and Goss) have unearthed long-lost period documents and letters home and also enlisted support & contributions from veterans who have never previously collaborated with Luftwaffe authors and researchers such as Erich Rudorffer, who has written the foreword..

Approx 300 pages, 400 photos - many new to me - profile artwork and maps.
French language text. The English translation is finished & due later this year. Will not be published in German..

More info at http://www.luftwaffe.be

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC
Many thanks Neil!!

I would rather have seen JG 5 Vol. 3 but if this generates enough money to fund vol 3 I am perfectly o.k. with it. ... I suppose there will be an English version .. but what about german? ...any chance?

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC

Steffen,

..Thought you might be interested ...

...not available in German I'm afraid but an English edition should be out later this year ..

JG 300 Vol II is also published this week via Eagle Editions...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi Neil

Seems to be an expensive second half of the year ... wonder when Erich and his writer will be ready .. (almost like Jean-Yves Lorant's work .... looooooooooooooooooong way to go) Fw 190 D pt.2 is also ready soon if i got that right

BTW wasn't there a book promised on 13./14. JG 3? Barry ... ?? sorry I forgot the name.

I just ordered Zorners bio as my birthday present ... the website examples were an interesting read.

Please post news you come across, as it is pretty hard to follow all the good stuff ...

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:33 PM UTC
..Barry ...Smith - I worked on his manuscript a while back but haven't heard anything recently.....unless he publishes the book himself then there's no telling when it might appear - you have absolutely no control ...

Zorner memoir arrived here last week .....
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thanks Neil!

i also ordered H-E Bob's bio "verraterner Idealismus" yesterday .. hope this will work (luckily it is not that expensive). .. Now I only have to get Walter Schuck's book and I am pretty much up to date on biografies. .... not much people left from that generation.

What I forgot .. Jochen Prien will surely issue one or two parts of volume 10 this year .... should start saving money

best wishes

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 07:17 PM UTC
Very interesting. There is a lot of good information on books here. Glad that they are in English. I might have a go at some of them
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 07:30 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

not all of them! but have a look at one of Eric Mombeek's books they are pretty good, though - from a scientific point of view - the Prien books are better (but most are in German). Both have plenty of photos and information!

The biographies/memoires mentione are also in German. Though Christer Bergström works on a bio of Walther Schuck

@Neil ... I talked to Erich yesterday and "his" book (Moskitojagd) is on full halt due to personal problems of the author .. very sad story. I hope this will be sorted out. .... he also told me of a very interesting new project ... but I won't break my promise.

best wishes

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP