_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden's 1/32 Albatros D.III Daffodil Scheme
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:10 AM UTC
NOTE since this thread was originally posted the images have been moved. and can be found at
the Feature article

The interior surfaces painted in wood color with darker wood grain squiggles. To finish, spray with a varnish color. I use Tamiya clear yellow mixed with clear orange 75%/25%. Stringers done in a chestnut color.

The framework for the engine was painted as described above. Exhaust pipe was hollowed out, painted burnt iron, dusted with copper rust and black smoke pigments. Wires were added. The tube holding the wires was painted a red primer. Dont attach exhaust pipe until the end of the build.

All the moduals ready to be put in place.

All the interior moduals in place.

The fuselage joined up. Base coat of wood tan stippled with a medium green to provide depth for the daffodils. Lower surface done in light blue. White fuselage band.

Fuselage band completed. More green stippled onto thefuselage. I used a darker green this time to add even more depth.

Daffodils hand painted. Stems and leaves in the same green shades used to stipple earlier. Petals done in white with yellow centers. Wings painted in a three color scheme, and added. Decals in place. I used the kit decals which I found to be substandard in almost every way. Misted with a clear flat. Support braces added using fine piano wire.

Propeller was scratchbuilt from laminated walnut and maple. Real Wood. Tires done in a light gray. Spinner hub, wheel hubs, and metal around engine compartment done in Grauviolet. Radiator and pipes done in brass. It is colorful

I found some pictures on the web with no documentation of pilot or unit. I thought it was pretty neat. I guess it takes a "Real Man" to pilot a boquet of flowers.

Head on shot. You like?

Comments welcome

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC

Sorry, Fifth picture dropped out. Here it is
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC
Whoa dude, that is an awesome paint scheme. Where did you learn to paint like that?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoa dude, that is an awesome paint scheme. Where did you learn to paint like that?

Actually, I never did.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 08:16 PM UTC
Carl; Very interesting.

For anyone who is curious this scheme was employed by Vizefeldwebel (acting sergeant) Fritz John Jacobsen of Jasta 31. He was assigned to Albatros D.III 2090/16 of the first production series. He arrived from Jasta 9 on 15 December 1916 and was transferred on 5 March 1918 to Jasta 73.

NOTE since this thread was posted the images have been moved. and can be found at
the Feature article
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. Should I put a tail number on it, or was that painted over?

Did he ever get credited with any victories? Well General, I was minding my own business when a pot of daffodils came out of the clouds and...

It was a fun build. Paint job was really easy. The pictures don't really show it as good as I like. I will try to get some close ups later today.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi Carl

It's an amazing paint job! And, what gets me is that is actually does work as disruptive camouflage - a bit like late WW2 German armour schemes.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info. Should I put a tail number on it, or was that painted over? Did he ever get credited with any victories? Well General, I was minding my own business when a pot of daffodils came out of the clouds and... It was a fun build. Paint job was really easy. The pictures don't really show it as good as I like. I will try to get some close ups later today.

His first of 5 confirmed total came on 6 July 1917 when he was a Vizefeldwebel (acting Sergeant) . The second came on 18 August 1917. There were two unconfirmed between 28 Sept. - 26 Oct. 1917. He crashed on 28 Sept. 1917 and WIA 26 Oct. 1917.

During Sept. - Oct.1917, Jasta 31 moved to the Italian front. It is likely that the Daffodil scheme came in early summer 1917 Probably between 23 June - 12 July . The best record available is either the Jasta record on my website or a well done article in Over the Front Vol. 11 #1, P. 34 - 39 spring 1988. (Back issue may be available to purchase.) There is stunning image on page 37 detailing the scheme . Yes, there is serial number on the pilot's right side of he vertical fin. D. 2090/16 While your scheme is very similar there some minor differences.

Still your scheme is very impressive.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Artistic License

Who believes photographs anyway
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:35 AM UTC

The closeup I promised.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hey all.

The Flying Daffodil just took first in the June MOM Contest.

Thanks for your support, encouragement, and votes.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:53 AM UTC
CaptainA Congrats!!!!! It is great to see an Early Aviation kit take a first place in the catagory. Nicely Done !!!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen. I am trying to finish the rigging on a D.V for this months contest. I think the color scheme looks even better than Daffy.

Yeah, its not hysterically accurate. But it is colorful...very, very colorful.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Stephen. . .

. . . Yeah, its not hysterically accurate. But it is colorful...very, very colorful.

Amen brother!
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
Howdy CaptainA,

VERY impressive paint work there pard'.....very nice.
I just love when someone who is not a professional painter {by your own testimony Cap' } is able to create such wonderful results by just "doing it"......gives the rest of us mucho hope

I also agree with our good Merlin on it actually working as 'disruptive' camoflage......it really does kinda work doesn't it?

Again, nice work sir.

Tread.

PostScript: Hey CaptianA....you should give a wee class on your 'woodgrain' technique. Nice look ya got there.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Looks great, Carl. A well deserved win. The Edelweiss is even greater. Really nice that WWI aircraft can be painted in so many personal schemes. I guess it was before camouflage was standardised
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Edelweiss is even greater. Really nice that WWI aircraft can be painted in so many personal schemes. I guess it was before camouflage was standardised

Thanks again guys. I finished and started a new thread on the Edelweiss.

Jesper - If you want the color, you must suffer the rigging.
 _GOTOTOP