_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A.E.G.GIV
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
I found a 1/48 Hi-Tech A.E.G.GIVon the shelves of a Hobbyshop in Nashville last year. Since I am between models awaiting campaign start dates, I thought I might get 'er done, well, at least started. Can anybody post some color profiles of possible schemes.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:21 AM UTC
Your best hope is the Datafile from Windsock pub. Not much out there. There might be something from Dan San Abbott. (member Dan San) He has offered colour scheme verification before.

Here is one by a modeler named Kevin McAvoy

". . .The HiTech kit is great as a place to start.There are some beautiful features to this kit. The nice stuff is mostly resin-seat,fuel tank,radiators,wheels.The metal parts are annoying. Strut material is part of the kit-look for it-then use AeroClub( I did use the kit cabanes). PE parts make a nice instrument panel,prop guard and bosses.Good Mg mounts,so-so Mgs.

The wing sections were badly warped,so I used hotr water and patience to straighten.I toned down the tapes with light sanding. I cut the strut pieces long,dowelled the ends and glued them in drilled holes. Note that the inboard struts are angled back a couple of degrees.The outboard are not. I built up the engine bearers,nacelles and cabane/engine struts first.I glued the top wing on this structure,set the jig and waited a few days before pop fitting the wing struts in. The engine nacelles are difficult. They require a lot of dry fitting,are soft on panel detail and missing the pronounced snap fasteners. I made thes from teeny tiny Grandt line nuts/bolts.54 per engine! Here's a tip. after you've sliced the nut off,pass the sprue past a candle and carefully mushroom the stems. These are great for switch knobs,Mg adjustment handles,etc. Two sprues yeild more than you'll ever use. I added the electric compass,mount and generator fro scraps and solder.Formation lights are ros with a flat notch filed in. The front Mg had the narrow cooling jacket,so I cut a spare PE part lengthwise in half,rolled this around a needle and slipped it over the plastic barrel.Rear and ventral guns are AeroClub. Yes I know the turnbuckles are misplaced (I'll fix that) And yes I know that I forgot to install the landing gear bracing before photography.

The bomb racks are still a mystery to me. I got a headache staring = at the horrible grainy photos and did my best. No bombs are provided,nor = is any of the interior bombing gear. I ste mine up for trench bombing = with grenades in the rear and 5kg bombs in the nose.Undred fuselage = slings are empty.

Take your time,mutter a lot,drink plenty of water and this kit comes = out OK.Aprox. 75 hours in elapsed time. . ."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Here is one by a German modeler named Nuesser.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
Here is one by a modeler named Ralston.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
And finally one from Savaglio.

". . .This is the completed HiTech AEG G.IV. CMK motors were used and proved to be absolutely beautiful little kits on their own. The nacelle frames were scratched from soldered brass as well as the motor mounts and framework.

The kit crosses fractured into tiny pieces when wet, so later style crosses were used from the spares box. The kit's serial number decals were sprayed with decal topcoat from Testors and they were more or less ok to use. They probably could have used another coat. The bits that didn't make it were easy enough to touch up with black paint.

The MG's are Copper State parabellums and turned out pretty nice. The bombs I have from CSM need to be fiddled with more to get them to work, so if I decide to add them, it'll be done later.

This kit turned out to not be the beast everyone originally thought. The hardest part was getting the floorboard to fit. After that, everything was cake and a suprisingly small amount of filler was needed to finish the model. Nowhere near as many things had to be scratched on this kit than the Voisin X from HiTech. It was a very rewarding build and it looks great on the shelf. . . "

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
These are fantastic. You Sir, are a wealth of knowledge. I am thinking this will be a major, month long build. At my build speed, maybe two.

I will probably order some new engines for it. I might need to scratch the nacelles, interior, and some wood propellers. I like the hex pattern and will most likely paint it. Lets make it three months.

I will start a thread and keep it updated when I do start the build.
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hello,

Good luck with the build! I'm most curious.

Greetings,Nico
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will start a thread and keep it updated when I do start the build.

Hi Carl!

I will follow this with great interest... but I think you will need at least 4 months!

Jean-Luc
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl!

I will follow this with great interest... but I think you will need at least 4 months!

Jean-Luc

Actually, It might be 4 months in just planning. I don't think I can start this one yet. Maybe we can start a poll on how long it will take me.

A few questions.

1. What are the correct hex pattern colors and position for the colors for both upper and lower surfaces?
2. Is the size shown on the Nuesser & Ralston aircraft correct.

I think that is what I want to go with. I seem to remember one done in this hex pattern with the fuselage forward of the pilot done in German Purple.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
There is also the Squadron "WWI German Bombers - In Action" monograph. It may have some profiles.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
I think I will probably concentrate on the new Pfalz for a while instead of this one. I need to do some more research on the schemes and colors of the AEG. I think I actually spend more time researching than building. And yes, I am fascinated by cereal boxes also. Easily distracted.

But that Pfalz is calling to me.
 _GOTOTOP