_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Osprey Aircraft of the Aces Albatros part 2.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Gentlemen and ladies,
The latest volume on offer from Osprey, #77 Aircraft of the Aces Albatros Part 2, has some really nice color, or colour for my Commonwealth friends, illustrations. What I found most interesting in particular was the color used to represent "mauve" on the upper surface of the top wings. It would seem to be a much darker or deeper purple hue than I've seen before. What gives? Is this supposed to reflect the latest research on this color or did I just get a copy with darker colors all around?
Dwayne
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
I am still waiting for my copy to arrive. Just for general discussion before receiving my copy I will say the following. This shade has undergone some very interesting interpretations over the years. In the early 70s' Humbrol did a color that was somewhat dark and leaned towards the red. I have seen many variants and quite honestly IMHO all seem to have possibilities.
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:33 AM UTC
Go with your favorite. Will anybody ever prove you wrong.

Maybe some of our friends in France, England, or Germany can look up surviving WWI veterans and ask them. There probably aren't many remaining. Findin one from the Air Corps would probably be next to impossible. I think we are down to about 4 or 5 here in the US.

Wouldn't be the same as the purple in the lozenge pattern. There is some of the original fabric around somewhere.

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Got my copy today. It seems to me that the Purple/Lilac/Mauve color is more in line with the "Older" interpretations,ie: aircraft in profile through the late 80s' early 90s'. Prior to the more Pastel color introduced by later Artists and Paint companies such as Poly Scale. Have to agree, not much out there to prove you wrong either way
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP