_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Vietnam chopper?
User_789
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi!

I am looking for a helicopter from the vietnam in.... 1/16 scale!

Anyone that have seen a model that are alike?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:07 PM UTC
Aragorn:
Sorry, but I looked everywhere I knew to look and the closest thing I could find was a 1/24 scale Bell Huey gunship by Monogram on towerhobbies.com
Will keep my eyes open for ya though.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:42 AM UTC
I don't wanna be a bugger here, but this looked like a modern Cobra an S or something instead of the one they used in Vietname right judging from the camo pattern.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't wanna be a bugger here, but this looked like a modern Cobra an S or something instead of the one they used in Vietname right judging from the camo pattern.

Actually, it's a Whiskey Cobra (AH-1W), given the twin pack engine and IR heat gizmo above them. The pattern is more Desert Storm period. And, no, this bird was not used in Vietnam. I think mostly the A (AH-1A) model was used there, though late in the conflict a later version was used by the army with a curved heat deflector on the exhaust.

The closest to the 1/16th Aragorn wants would be the 1/32 Revell kit.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
The first Cobra version was the AH-1G and it was used by both the US Army and USMC until a twin-engined version was produced (Sea Cobra) for the USMC. That photo is a twin-engined variant like Al says, most likely the 1/35 scale MRC AH-1W. They also make the AH-1T+ Gold Cobra. Take a look at the twin oval exhausts. Vietnam era Cobras had a single circular exhaust dead center above the tail boom.

Modern (I use the term loosely since they have been out of the US Army inventory since the mid-90s) US Army versions were the AH-1S and it had a single engine exhaust and the cockpit glazing was flat and not curved like the USMC version in your photos. Biggest and best of this variant was the Monogram AH-1S in 1/48 scale. I also have a Fujimi AH-1J used by the Japanese Self Defense Force in 1/48.

Revell of Germany has recently reissued the old 1/32 scale Revell AH-1G. It used to have the Shark toothed decals and "Squatter Swatter" nose art when reissued by Revell in the 1980s. This one is the largest, although the quality pales in comparison to the newer MRC ones.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
By all means Rob you hit everything on the money except the part about the Snakes in Army inventory since the mid-90s.The National Guard unit here in Smyrna,TN just recently made the transition from the AH-1E(ECAS) to the AH-64 in late-01,early-02.And get this,I think I am happy to say I was a witness to the last Army Cobra flight in the US on SUNDAY!!!!!!!Yes that right this past Sunday a ECAS bird flew over my house.My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw it.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:46 PM UTC
I would like to add also that the armament systems that Nam Cobras were equipped with were the M35 Mini-gun,which was installed on the inboard pylons and was basically the Air Force M161 Vulcan cannon with shorter barrels.But the usual weapons pick for the Snake was just 2.75in rockets on all weapons pylons and/or the 7-shot rocket pods on the outboard pylons.The TOW and Hellfire missile systems were not developed while the Vietnam conflict was still an ongoing issue.

AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IThe TOW and Hellfire missile systems were not developed while the Vietnam conflict was still an ongoing issue.

Slight correction: The TOW was deployed in Vietnam. http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/xm26tow.htm " TARGET="_blank"> http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/xm26tow.htm
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By all means Rob you hit everything on the money except the part about the Snakes in Army inventory since the mid-90s.The National Guard unit here in Smyrna,TN just recently made the transition from the AH-1E(ECAS) to the AH-64 in late-01,early-02.And get this,I think I am happy to say I was a witness to the last Army Cobra flight in the US on SUNDAY!!!!!!!Yes that right this past Sunday a ECAS bird flew over my house.My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw it.

I tend to talk in terms of active Army and not National Guard. Just when I think something is long gone, one of those cheap states pops up with something we haven't been using in almost a decade.

BTW, Al is correct about TOW usage in Vietnam. There was a provisional test unit that was armed with UH-1Bs and TOW missiles. Very effective against NVA armor.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Sorry about the TOW comment.I should have cleared that up on my part by saying that Cobras were not utilized with them.UH-1s were basically the test beds for those puppies.
Paladin06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
The 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment turned in their last AH-1Fs in September of 1998 and the Air Cav in Hawaii kept theirs for another few months after that. I was the platoon leader of the last Cobra platoon in the 3rd ACR. I miss it, but have moved on to bigger things, namely the AH-64D Longbow.
 _GOTOTOP