Hosted by Rowan Baylis
eduard 1:48 Fw 190A-8
Hightower
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 03:26 PM UTC
O.K. I have only built two other aircraft so far. Tamiya Corsair with moto tug and Hasegawa British Phantom. Both 48th. The Tamiya kit fell together. The Hasegawa kit with some Big Ed photo etch was outstanding. After reading all the rave reviews of the Eduard kit I got it. What is all the fuss about ? The great engine detail which is all but covered up once the aircraft is complete ? The small amount of PE in the box ? Big deal. I found the kits instructions somewhat confusing and unclear, the fit of some parts was poor and the overall ' WOW ' factor of the kit was just not there. I may be going against the grain with most aircraft modelers but I just felt I had to get this out. I am calling this an angry build, It will be put into a diorama depicting a crash landing, that way I can give it some real hard core damage and put it on the lowest display shelf in my collection.
Cheers.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 05:08 PM UTC
I mainly like Eduard for their WW1 aircraft selection. I am currently building a SPAD XIII and the fit wasn't always the best but careful use of a file + clamping pulled me though. I can sympathize with you on the detailing of interior parts. All my hard work in picking out details on the open cockpit is all but covered unless you use a flashlight. Still, compared to what other manufacturers offer for WWI, these kits are pretty nice. Roden and Toko kits have almost nonexistent cockpit detail, and the fit can be more troublesome than what I have seen from Eduard. I had a particularly hard time getting the upper decking of the cockpit to fit into the SPAD. I had to shave about 1mm of plastic from the top opening to get it to fit, and then reposition the seat a hair further forward, but I got it to work.

No kit is perfect, but if modeling were easy, everybody would be producing competition quality builds.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Sterling

Let me start by saying the Eduard kits are nothing for modeller who just have begun/restarted the hobby. They are complex and Eduard just emerged from being a short run producer like MPM/Special Hobby/Sword and the like .

BUT I understand your frustration as there are some areas where a little less complexity (or more thought) would have made the whole kit a lot easier. I am especially thinking of the 3-part bulkhead infront of the cockpit.

Nonetheless I think this is one of the best eduard models to date and it is surely the best (most accurate and detailed) Fw 190 A-8 out there. So if you take your time, put in a little foresight and dryfit often it is a nice model.

If you do not care about details, just buy the Tamiya which is a nice shake'n'bake kit but has it's issues.

I personally think, the hype about the Eduard kit is not the A-8 but the other versions which were totally neglegted until now: Fw 190 A-5 (one bad try by Dragon), A-6, A-7, A-9 (never done).

Wat den een sien Uhl is den annern sien Nachtigal!
(~ one person's trash is another person's treasure)

best wishes

Steffen
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:16 AM UTC
I agree with Steffen on this. This is the best detailed 1/48 FW on the market, but this kit is not for the novice. Also remember that this kit was designed with the option to be displayed open. This makes the kit difficult to build "closed-up" as I discovered with mine.

Honestly, Hightower, it can be done by working slowly and carefully. Yes, it has some challenges, but builds into quite a pretty bird when done. Trust me....

About your idea of using this kit in a crash scene, I cannot think of a better kit to do this with since you get all the "guts" in the box (ie engine guns etc.)

Another option is to shelf this bad-boy until you gain/regain your enthusiasm. That helps sometimes too.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
Before you give up on Eduard, try one of their WWI Albatross or Nieuport 17 kits. If you build one, you will probably be hooked on them. I got two of their FWs. Look great, but I am waiting until I finish off some other things before starting.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi Sterling

I'm really sorry that you've had such a poor time with Eduard's Fw 190. As you'll know from my original Review, I think the kit is superb. It is more complex than the Tamiya or Hasegawa '190s, but part of that comes from offering a choice of etched or styrene details. Importantly, it is more accurate is many key areas so; as Steffen suggests, one man's meat is another man's poison.

The new Eduard Fw 190A-6 arrived today... again, it looks a real beauty! In view of your experiences with the earlier kit, I think I'll have to start a fresh On-Line Build as soon as I've covered it as Quick-Look Review.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Looking forward to it, Rowan.

I will have to buy the new one even though I already have the two previous Eduard FW-190s in my stash. They had me just by looking at the box artwork.
I will probably end up building a couple of rotten of Eduard FW-190s However, before I start I will get a few more aircraft "under my belt" as I do not want to ruin the Eduard kits.

Looking forward to the review
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They had me just by looking at the box artwork.

Hi Jesper

I was just admiring your avatar!

Well, the pics are all uploaded, so I'll have the Review ready by the weekend - and I've wasted no time snipping parts off the sprues! I'm looking forward to this one!

All the best

Rowan
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi all,

Is this essentially the same kit as their Royal Class 190? The one with all the cool bits and stuff? I just bought the Royal Class 190 for my Uncle and can't wait to see what is inside.

-Derek
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi Derek

Yes - essentially so. A new mix of parts to produce the earlier version, but the same comprehensive mix of top quality styrene parts and etched details. And, as you'd expect, there are some great paint schemes :

I think I'll have to do Georg Schott's checkerboard-nosed a/c - although Jean-Luc will be after my blood, because that's the scheme he fancies too!

Your uncle is a lucky guy!

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Yeah, that is one of the really great things about these Eduard kits. Everything is in the box. Masks, PE, lots of cool decal options with history etc. I do not have to buy any extra stuff.

I would definently go for the JG1 scheme. I just love those checkered cowlings.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll have to do Georg Schott's checkerboard-nosed a/c - although Jean-Luc will be after my blood, because that's the scheme he fancies too!

Hi Rowan

maybe you should start another thread, as this is pretty far from the original question ...

My choice will be Anton Hackl's JG 11 bird

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text