_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F/A 18E Super Hornet in progress
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
Here's some shots of what is currently occupying my evenings after work. It's Italeri's 1/48 scale F/A-18E Super Hornet. I'm adding Black Box's reson cockpit set and Two Bob's decals for VFA-14. This is my 1st time working with resin also. The lighting is pretty poor in my room, so some of the shots maybe be bright from the flash.

the Black Box tub was alittle wide, even after sanding to the amount the instructions specify. I was alittle worried about using their instrument panel cover because it was smaller than the entire kit one they had me saw off. Once you test fit the windscreen, I saw I had no worries. More shots to follow tomorrow night. I just airbrushed the main gear bays and the intakes flat white.

***Update down below***
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:31 PM UTC
Amazing stuff! I really love those Hornet!!!! You do us plane build proud!!! This is one nice looking bird!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC
Looks great so far. Keep us posted.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC
Looking great BadPony!!! Keep us posted!!

My son Danny (HunterCottage_Jr) just finished painting his F/A 18 E Super Hornet, the exact model you are building. I was very impressed with the detail. A question I have though, is the resin cockpit worth the money?? I thought the detail was AOK in the original. I must admit though that I do not have exacting knowledge on what is in the real bird, so maybe there are a lot of things missing...
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking great BadPony!!! Keep us posted!!

My son Danny (HunterCottage_Jr) just finished painting his F/A 18 E Super Hornet, the exact model you are building. I was very impressed with the detail. A question I have though, is the resin cockpit worth the money?? I thought the detail was AOK in the original. I must admit though that I do not have exacting knowledge on what is in the real bird, so maybe there are a lot of things missing...

hi Brian! I would have to say the cockpit is worth the money and effort. The detail is alot better than the decals Italeri provided for the instruments, plus the seat itself is a work of art. I'm pretty much going off F/A-18C photos in terms of reference. Photos for the Super Hornet are few and far between, but various magazines say the cockpit is basically the same as the C model with the addition of another CRT screen right below the HUD. I'm off to build the intake assemblies now, so more pictures to follow soon
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 04:32 AM UTC
GREAT - CONGRATULATIONS

ROBERTO
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
:-) badpony, this is going to be one great looking bird. I love the cockpit, you've done a great job on it :-)
Mal
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
Nice looking model, you´ve spent a lot of ork on it...
the cockpit looks great!
KEEP US POSTED!
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
thanks all for the comments
some progress was made in the past 2 nights, here's the pics:

Major sub-assemblies ready for attachment

After alot of sanding and test-fitting, the intakes attached to the lower fusilage, then the nose section/upper fusilage was attached to the lower.

even though alot of sanding and test-fitting was done, the nose, air intake and lower fusilage area produced some ugly joints. There is a little seam on both sides between the wings, nothing a sanding stick can take care of. I'll be getting it ready for paint next weekend (grandfather has a spray booth) so the next update will be puttied and sanded pictures, then paint. Time to work on the landing gear and the under wing stores!
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
That is one spiffy looking cockpit....it makes the whole model....me, Im thrilled when I get decal s for m cockpit
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi Badpony, You are doing a great job on this Hornet !!!!! Keep up the good work
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
You are doing this great bird the justice it deserves. Keep up the way your going and she'll be a beauty.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
Lookin' great so far. Those wheel wells look huge!
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:09 PM UTC

Wow , I couldn't just wait for final efect !!!- for now it's looks perfect - what squadron markings will be on your F-18 E ?

Cheers
Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow , I couldn't just wait for final efect !!!- for now it's looks perfect - what squadron markings will be on your F-18 E ?

Cheers
Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35

hi there. I'm getting anxious for the final effect myslef. I have a picture of the actual aircraft as the wallpaper on my computer. For markings, I'm using TwoBob's decals for VFA-14 Tophatters. I like the black tail high vis paint scheme :-)
 _GOTOTOP