_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
July 07 MOM Contest thread
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:53 PM UTC
Post extra pictures and information about your model for the July MOM here. Don't forget to read the rules and post one picture in the gallery (for voting purposes). MOM July 07
Best of luck to everyone
Mal

new Model of the Month. Rules uptaded 20th July 2007 and are valid for this month (rule 7)see rule 13 and 14

1. Entries must be of your own work.
2. The model must be of an aircraft.
3. The model can be in any scale and in any medium.
4. The model can be “out of the box”, scratch built, or anything in between.
5. The model must be finished within the month for which it is entered. The model could have been started some time before the MOM for which it is entered, it is the month in which it is actually finished that counts. So if it isn't finished this month it may be ready for next month or the month after
6. 1 picture is to be uploaded into the relevant gallery and titled with what the model is of, I.E. VS Spitfire Mk Vc. No composites. This picture must be of just the model, no base. (For a model posed in the "in Flight" configuration" a small stand is allowed which can be used to either support the model or as a counter weight. A beaching dolly can be used for a float plane.
7. A thread will be opened in the general aircraft forum in which you MUST add up to 3 further pictures and you MAY add details about the build. The model can appear on a base or even in a diorama in this thread. Pictures must not be larger than 700 pixels wide, in either the gallery or the information thread. If you wish to post further pictures then open your own thread.
8. Pictures of models can be placed in the gallery from the first of the month until the penultimate day of the month (the next to last day) (see “5” above). (This is to avoid the time zone difference, I'm working on GMT)
9. Voting will take place over the first half of the next month, closing on the 16th. (This will be between 18.00 and 00.01 GMT)
10. Dragon are sponsoring this from June 2007.
11. Staff members of the Kitmaker group of sites cannot enter.
12. The rules will be added to when and if it is deemed necessary.
13. Any none complience with these rules may result in disqualification.
14. Ignorance of these rules is not an excuse for not abiding by them.

Link to MOM gallery area(choose July 07)

Mal
Gaucho
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
KitMaker: 416 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Well, I'm the first do place pics for MOM, this month.
I just finished, actually today's morning, my Hasegawa 1/32 Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate "Frank" Prototype, this is write on the Box. I Built it OOB, only the seatbelts are add. I did a pre shade with flat black paint and a pos shade with black pastels, only in the upside surface, since the color of the plane was a little dark. I put a silver primer overall, then chips paints was made with Maskol before te main color. A hobbyknife was used too, here an there. I used Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color paints.
I hope you like my Frank.
Thanks.

Now I got.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi Everyone. This is my entry for MOM[July]. This is the 1/48 scale A-4 Skyhawk from Hasegawa. I used an Aires resin cockpit set with photo-etch for the locking mechanism on the interior of the canopy. The landing gear was detailed with fuse wire for brake lines and styrene sheet and lead foil on the front landing gear. I tried to replicate this area as close as possible using the great walkaround photos on the Aircraftresourcecenter website. The MK 82's are from the Hasegawa Weapons Set A. I preshaded all panel lines with black before applying ModelMaster Enamels. The exhaust nozzle and the tip of the fuel probe were painted using ModelMaster Chrome Silver. A wash of Future and Raw Umber acryllic artist oil paint was used on the landing gear, wheels, wheel wells, gear doors and the tip of the fuel probe. I used decals from FoxOne. The decals for the Interior and the exterior of the leading edge of the engine intakes wouldn't cooperate, so I masked those areas with Tamiya Tape and applied ModelMaster Insignia Red. I did use the "danger" section of the decals for the aft section of the engine intake. The red stripe on the fuel probe was also masked and painted. I kept weathering to a minimum with some thinned black streaking on the underside of the plane and to the fuel tanks and some staining around the guns on the leading edges of the wings. I applied some dark brown pastel chalk to the area around the engine exhaust. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 03:19 AM UTC
This is my entry for July.
Its the Airfix Tiger Moth 1:72 Scale
The model was built oob.All the parts needed a major amount and cleaning up,sanding and filling.All locating pegs were removed for more accurate assembly.Painted with Humbrol enamels and Xtraacrylics. The rigging is smoke coloured invisible thread.

A build thread can be found HERE

Good luck everyone
Nige
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:15 AM UTC
This is my entry for the July MOM. It is Academy's 1/72 hellcat in a P-47 scheme. The reason, besides the fact that I was just curious how it would look, was that I had some left over P-47 decals that I really wanted to use, but no P-47, and an Academy Hellcat that I really wanted to try, but no AM decals (don't really trust Academy's). Put those two things together and my build was born.

After completing it, I have to say that I was really impressed with the P-47 decals which came from the Tamiya razorback kit. They worked beautifully and are nowhere near as thick as many Tamiya decals. As for the Academy Hellcat, it definitely has a few trouble spots and needed a little extra work and care in certain regards, but overall is very nice.

In the end a very enjoyable build that is far from perfect, but that I am happy with.
Thanks,
Allen

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Edelweiss

It is dawn in the fall of 1917. On a crisp, cool morning, the personal mount of one of the Jasta 5 pilots is about to be warmed up, for another day of cheating death.

As you approach your trustworthy mount, you marvel at the artistic skills of your ground crew, not only in painting your personal colors, but also in keeping the Flugzeug in the air, despite all the shortages in supplies.

The sun is rising over your homeland to the East and you will soon be in the air again. The light shines on your edelweiss in a way you have never noticed before. How far away Bavaria seems this morning.

I hope you like my Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.Va. It is painted in fictional colors, based on an actual aircraft from Jasta 5. The decals for the wings and the Edelweiss came from the leftover box. The German insignia are from the kit. The fuselage was handpainted with a varnished wood finish, then the fuselage colors were masked and sprayed with custom mixed colors. Rigging was done with very fine brass wire. Amazingly, the only thing not painted on the kit are the wheels, which were left in the original color becase it closely resembles WWI rubber.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Edelweiss

I applaud the tightening up of the rules. You guys do a good job.

Just to insure conformity, I will give the vital statistics for this build. This model was started about four months ago. I finished the rigging on it about a week ago. I apologize that I accidently posted the same picture twice in this thread. If you would like to se more pictures, go to Early Aviation and click on "Another Albatros"
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
Is it possible to upload/transfer a photo from my gallery here, to the contesr gallery?
TIA & Cheers!
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here is my entry for July MOM, it is Tamiya Fw-190 D9 in 1/72 scale. It painted Gunze and Tamiya acrylics.
Good luck to everyone

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it possible to upload/transfer a photo from my gallery here, to the contesr gallery?

I don't think that it is, I tried it but had no joy.

There is nothing stopping you re-uploading the same pictures (one of) to the MOM gallery though.

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
I am going to start the voting for this month a day or 2 late. I have PM'd the members who, at the moment are not complying with the rules, and told them that they have a couple of days to comply.
Frustrating for those of you who are complying, I know, but I'm trying to be as fair as possible. Rest assured if ther is any hint of cheating it will not be tolerated. I am also considering another rule change, I know, I know, I don't want to but it may be necessary. I'm thinking of making it mandatory that entrants at least post that they are building something that will be entered into the MOM, with at least a couple of WIP pics. I know it isn't foolproof but I don't see any other way of helping to ensure that entrants actually finish in the required limits. I'm not saying that I don't trust everyone but

Mal
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am going to start the voting for this month a day or 2 late. I have PM'd the members who, at the moment are not complying with the rules, and told them that they have a couple of days to comply. ...

Whoopsey. He's talking about me! I goofed. I just read where these photos should be placed here by the next to last day of the month, however, as I just got back into town, perhaps you'll have mercy on me?

This is my Lindberg Curtiss F11C-2 Goshawk in 1:48 scale. Several parts were scratchbuilt, and duplicated in resin, including wheels, wheel farings, tail wheel, tailhook, cockpit parts, seat, instrument panel, etc.,, engine cowl ring, exhaust pipes, propellor, all cast in resin with my own molds made from my scratchbuilt patterns. I also vaccuum formed my own windscreen. (see my Aeroscale article "Making Resin Parts", and my postings in the Pre-Flight Check forum for more concise details). The rigging is invisible thread, and the decals were drawn and printed from my computer.

Thank you, and I hope I didn't bugger things up too badly!
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC
My apologies Mal. I misread #7 thinking " A thread will be opened in the general aircraft forum in which....." meant I was to open the thread(done).Here are my official "contest thread" photos:

The descriptions of how I did it and other notes are somewhere close by in the Gen. Aircraft forum along with a few more pics.
Thanks again Mal and good luck to all!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 07:48 AM UTC
For those that I PM'd about posting, a big thank you for complying It certainly isn't a problem when members are so willing to abide by the rules when small errors are pointed out. I see haw the rules, repeated here could be confusing, Rick, so I'll take note of that, thanks and m_buchler, no, you didn't bugger things up so yep we'll have mercy on you

There is one more member that I PM'd, I will give him until I log on tomorrow, after work. If there is no reply then I will delete his pic and start the voting.

Just so that there are no comebacks, I have already told Rick Purdy (05Sultan) that I will alow his entry. I think that the base is plain enough, just, even though not strictly what I meant in the rules. We have very few models built in flight mode, so I reckon that it would be pretty harsh to disallow Rick’s entry. I may have to have a rethink if everyone starts entering models in flight mode

Mal
 _GOTOTOP