_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
External weapon configuration on F-22
Braendle
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm building the Revell F-22 Raptor. Due to certain casting problems, I need to add the external 4 pylons under the wings. While I find this interesting, the supplied external weapons which come with the kit are quite disapointing (only 2 small guided bombs).

Anyway, I'm looking for an armament configuration for the 4 pylons. I know the F-22 can carry up to 8 missiles (two on each pylon) and 2 fuel tanks. Any idea, which missiles would be right (AIM-9 or AMRAAM?) and which fuel tanks would be needed? Would the tanks from an F-16C work?

And could I also attach only one AIM-9 or AMRAAM on a pylon and maybe a GBU-bomb instead the one in the kit?

Any help appreciated!
Trigger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
As for fuel tanks, the 600 gallon tanks on the F-16/F-2 look most like the Raptor's drop tanks (they may be the same tanks, I haven't been able to confirm that). The Hasegawa F-2 kits include those tanks or you can order a set from Isracast Isracast

Trigger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC
F-22 with External Tanks

More pix on f-16.net
Braendle
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:38 AM UTC
Thanks so far!

What's the difference between fuel tanks F-16 F and C ? I've a Revell (ex hasegawa) F-16 with two large fuel tanks on each wing - are those the 600 gal tanks or smaller ones?

Concerning the external combat config shown on the picture, what kind of missiles are at the double-racks? AMRAAM?
Trigger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the difference between fuel tanks F-16 F and C ? I've a Revell (ex hasegawa) F-16 with two large fuel tanks on each wing - are those the 600 gal tanks or smaller ones?

I'm not sure by what you mean when you say "difference between fuel tanks F-16 F and C ?" I'm assuming you're referring to the UAE's Block 60 F-16E/F vs. a Block 25 30/32, 40/42 and 50/52. if that's the case, I'm not that familiar with the UAE's Vipers. However, most underwing tanks you see on F-16s are 370 gallon tanks. The Raptor's tanks are 600 gallon, as are the tanks used on F-15s, the Japanese F-2 and IAF F-16I. You might be able to modify some F-15 drop tanks to use; this would be less expensive than buying an F-2 kit or resin gas bags.

Quoted Text

Concerning the external combat config shown on the picture, what kind of missiles are at the double-racks? AMRAAM?

Between THIS image and my interpretation of the diagram, I'd say that those are AIM-120s.
 _GOTOTOP