_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Albatros D.V question....
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC
I have a couple of Eduard Albatros D.V kits namely 8109 and the Red Baron kits and I noticed something strange. The kits are labeled as Albatros D.V s but the box art on both kits show D.Va s. Also while the rigging instructions on the 8109 kit show the rigging for a D.Va the marking instructions label all the aircraft as being solely D.V type aircraft. So what gives? I was thinking of making the aircraft flown by Ltn Boning of Jasta 76B and am wondering if it should be built as a D.V or D.Va. As for the Red Baron kit I am nearly finished with it and built it as a D.V with all red fusilage. Thanks.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a couple of Eduard Albatros D.V kits namely 8109 and the Red Baron kits and I noticed something strange. The kits are labeled as Albatros D.V s but the box art on both kits show D.Va s. Also while the rigging instructions on the 8109 kit show the rigging for a D.Va the marking instructions label all the aircraft as being solely D.V type aircraft. So what gives?

Greetings Roy;
First both kits have parts to make the D.V or D.Va. All the Eduard Albatros D.V- D.Va kits basically come with the same parts. Though the 8109 and 8110 have new molded plastic parts. It just makes it easier for them when it comes to puting kit parts in a box. Rather thn short you accidently they give you more.

The Red Baron issue has two profiles. They are:

One was an early production Alb. D.V in which he was wounded on July 6, 1917. Red spinner , cowling ring, tail unit and both wings upper and lower surfaces. wood varnished fuselage.

Two My apologies, folks I have to correct my original comment. is Alb. D.V 2059/17 is the other profile and was flown in Aug. 1917. It is the machine on display when Luddendoff inspected JG I at the Kaisertruppenshau.

Thats what I get for trying to go off of my memory at work.

Quoted Text

I was thinking of making the aircraft flown by Ltn Böning of Jasta 76b and am wondering if it should be built as a D.V or D.Va. As for the Red Baron kit I am nearly finished with it and built it as a D.V with all red fusilage. Thanks. Roy

Kit Decals for # 8109 has Alb. D. V markings for:
A. D.2092/17 in Jasta 76b livery, early 1918.
B. Ltn. Monnington of Jasta 15 early 1917.
C. Star of David from Jasta 12 Mid 1917.

Albatros Aces by Franks 2000, Osprey pub.#33. has some good information, a profile and images of Böning's machines. The serial and the images show no doubt that it is an Alb. D.V.
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:50 AM UTC
Stephan, thanks for the reply. I know that both the D.V and the D.Va can be built from the kits as there really isn't anything really that different between the two types that a little rigging won't solve. As for the "Red Baron's" second mount (which is the one I am nearly finished with) you mention the serial number 1177/17. That isn't the number provided for in the kit. Also the instructions do not mention overcoating the wings in red either. The kit gives me serial number 2059/17 and claims it was his reserve mount after his return from the hospital and when he didn't feel safe flying his Fokker Dr.I. The tops of the wings are green and purple. I guess the skinny of my question for kit 8109 is that although the very nice box art and the kits rigging instructions show a D.Va I should build the kit as a D.V if I want to do any of the marking provided? Thanks again for your time.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
My apologies, you are right. Alb. D.V 2059/17 is the other profile and was flown in Aug. 1917. It is the machine on display when Luddendoff inspected JG I at the Kaisertruppenshau.

Thats what I get for trying to go off of my memory at work. Manfred is "known" to have flown about 17 different aircraft from 1916 - 1918
 _GOTOTOP