AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy
... the real test will be to see if this very easily distracted bear-of-little-brains can pick up where he left off once back in The Smoke...

All the best

Rowan

I know what that feels like, three weeks without building anything, due to moving, and now I'm all set up I can't get motivated to do anything .
I feel a quick Eduard "Weekend edition" is in order to get me out the doldrums.
Andy

Quoted Text

Halifax

Good one Nige
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Rowan, cant wait to see how it looks finished.
Where are you going for your holidays?,,,,,,,Halifax?
Nige

Hi Nige

No... Sterling!

Seriously, down to the Isle of Wight to see my family... and, for a real busman's holiday! - the only chance I'll get all year for 2 weeks model-building without distractions on (hopefully!) a certain new Eduard twin-engine job...

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel a quick Eduard "Weekend edition" is in order to get me out the doldrums.

My last weekender took 10 days. That would be five weekends. It did raise my spirits as it went together beautifully. The extra time was spent on extremely detailed painting. Otherwise it would have only taken 2 weekends.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the only chance I'll get all year for 2 weeks model-building without distractions on (hopefully!) a certain new Eduard twin-engine job...

Cool. If you would rather enjoy your vacation with your family, and not worry about modeling for the entire two weeks, just send it to me.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hi Carl

Believe me - the chance to concentrate on some pure model-building without the dual distractions of work or Aeroscale publishing deadlines is my idea of heaven!

All the best

Rowan
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Looking good, Rowan! I'm glad things are working well for you. Question: Are you going to be able to get the wheel-well "roof" in with the fuse closed like that?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Believe me - the chance to concentrate on some pure model-building without the dual distractions of work or Aeroscale publishing deadlines is my idea of heaven!

My loss
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question: Are you going to be able to get the wheel-well "roof" in with the fuse closed like that?

Hi Justen

The simple answer is "No"! Sorry, the pic above was a bit misleading - that was only only a test fit... you certainly must add the wheel-well roof before joining the fuselage to the wings. In fact, I'd recommend fitting it as Eduard show - i.e. before adding the wing top surfaces (I left it until after and it was tight squeeze, but it slotted in OK).

All the best

Rowan
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 07:21 AM UTC
LOL.... I hate being the bearer of bad news and I thought you were going to have to do some serious surgery on that beauty. I'm relieved.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

It looks good and there are many useful tips here before I start on my FW-190s. I have not gotten this version yet, but I will when it arrives at my LHS here in Latvia.

Thanks for the effort and the good tips.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:40 PM UTC
That's one good-looking build so far. Some good pointers to remember when I start working on mine, I presume the earlier A8 kit is pretty much the same?

I noticed you chose to cut down the cannon barrels to ease painting.

Quoted Text

I've built two Trimaster/dragon 190's and they have two-part cannon barrels and I've always thought of them as a pain in the rear. Getting them straight is a chore. With the second kit I replaced the barrels with metal tubing, and I had to drill holes for them, which turned out to be quite tricky.
With this eduard kit, I'm planning to replace the entire barrels, drilling the mounting holes to the revievers and fit the barrels after painting.
But, are the barrels slightly tapered?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
You guys are making me anxious to start on mine. Are we going to do a minibuild?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

There's no sign of any taper in the shots of the MG 151/20 in the HT Model Special on the '190.

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eetu

There's no sign of any taper in the shots of the MG 151/20 in the HT Model Special on the '190.

All the best

Rowan

Ok, thanks. Then I'll be just skipping the aftermarket and using some metal tubing when I build mine.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi again

I couldn't resist taking a break from the main construction to see how the cowling checker decals would work out. First I painted the cowling gloss white (Revell 04) with some pre-shading along the panel and rivet lines. This will probably be a bit overdone by the time I've finished weathering for an aircraft that was probably kept pretty clean, but there you go - call it artistic licence...

The black checker decals were a little fiddly to apply, but they fit well and are beautifully thin. They responded excellently to Microset - as you can see, they've snuggled down perfectly into the moulded details (and my grainy paint-job! - I would normally polish the paint before applying decals, but I was lazy this time... ).

One small point to note: cowl decal #21 is mis-numbered as #6 in one of the painting instructions scrap views.

All the best

Rowan
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
Looks like they worked well. They even got around those intake blisters and those can be a bear. I think the preshading works.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Very nice chessboard cowling! I don't think the pre-shading is overdone... but you know how much I like "artistic license"
The Eduard decals are fantastic! I remember those lozenge decals for the Fokker VII, the best I ever used!
I'm looking forward to see more progress...

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC
Rowan, this one really looks great! I cannot wait until my LHS get this one on stock. On the other hand it is not that urgent as I have my hands full with other projects right now.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Eduard decals are fantastic! I remember those lozenge decals for the Fokker VII, the best I ever used!

Jean-Luc

I am getting more and more tempted to try my skills on the Eduard Fokker VII. It could look great next to a FW 190. It would really show the development in fighter aircraft in 25 years. aquite interesting and compelling comparison...
 _GOTOTOP