_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
paint dilemma
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 04:05 PM UTC
I am building a Tamiya 1/48th scale Raiden Jack, many of you prefer to use enamel paints, problem is the reccomended paints for this model are tamiya acrylic paints, the enamel paints seem not to be available from tamiya , do I go with the reccomended paint and ignore the possible advantages of enamel paint? some what frustrated with the lack of standards for paint...the manufacturers go with their own brands, plan to go with tamiya for now as I do not want to purchase so much paint to correlate with brand of model.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
I think you could get good results with acrylics. I would consider them about equal with enamels, they just have different trade-offs. Enamels tend to have better coverage and in my experience stick better than acrylics. A good primer that gives the paint something to hold on to is critical for acrylics to work well. Acrylics have the advantage of being less toxic and faster drying, which means you can get your work done faster. Just make sure you have lots of isopropyl alcohol to clean your airbrush out right away, as once the stuff cures it is almost impossible to clean out.
 _GOTOTOP