_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Eduard Mirage 2000 build
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:22 AM UTC
Well after completing a quick OOB P-47 build I have decided to jump in the deep end with Eduard's (ex Heller) Mirage 2000 Limited edition kit.
A in-box review can be found here. This kit has P.E parts, resin ejection seats and Eduard paint masks.
Now to add to the fun of this kit, Jean-Luc kindly sent me 3 R-Flight resin update sets for it. They consist of an external detail set, 2 under wing fuel tanks and a center line fuel tank. Reviews of these can be found here and here
So here is a pick of the kit with all the bells and whistles included. I don't think I will be able to complete this one in three days
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi Andy

It looks very interesting. If you were able to build this one in three days you needed to share your tricks. That is probably the only way I am ever going to get to the buttom of my stash

Are those Exocet missiles included in the plastic kit?

Looking forward to follow this one.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy
Are those Exocet missiles included in the plastic kit?

Looking forward to follow this one.

Hi Jesper,
The only external stores you get consist of 2 x 2000L fuel tanks and 1 Air-Sol Moyenne Portée (ASMP) air-launched nuclear missile.
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Looking forward to see your progress on this one. The kit is already Sold Out on Eduard's website and many Mirage 2000 fans (especially French ones) are desperately trying to get one from their LHS. It seems only 300 reached the French market...

But Andy beware of the resin parts! Only work in a well ventilated room. I don't want Courtney to breath toxic dust!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!
The kit is already Sold Out on Eduard's website and many Mirage 2000 fans (especially French ones) are desperately trying to get one from their LHS. It seems only 300 reached the French market...

Jean-Luc

Found one on E/Bay if you want one Jean-Luc .
You would have thought the French market would have got the lions share of this kit.
I'm working on the cockpit at the moment, so I shall post some pics later.
I am also trying to find some other A.M weapons set for this kit as well. All the pics I have of the Mirage 2000 have Magic missiles (possibly) on the outboard wing pylons.
I still haven't decided to go with either the N (nuclear weapons) or the D (conventional weapons) version yet ???!!!!!!
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:02 AM UTC
I have decided to build the D version of the Mirage as it has a cool wrap around camo scheme and most of the P.E parts are for the D version.
As promised here are some pics of the cockpit and ejection seats.
23 P.E parts make up the cockpit.
Andy

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi Andy!

I hope Courtney is still alive! How did you eliminate the casting blocks on the resin parts?

Anyway, the seats seem to be very detailed and the PE instrument panel and side consoles look great! I've read on Eduard's website that they found some more sprues of the Heller Mirage so it is possible that there will be a second release of this kit...

"Life likes to throw us curve balls, and I swung at one in July, when the Limited Edition Mirage 2000D/N sold out inside of two days. I spent a chunk of my vacation days in July trying to get an additional quantity of this kit. It appears that there will be some fruit to this labor, and the Mirage 2000D/N will be re-released in October or November."

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:33 PM UTC
Good looking cockpit Andy.
The PE looks great and its a very nice paint job.
This should keep you busy for a while
Good news on the projected re release Jean-Luc.
Nige
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!

I hope Courtney is still alive! How did you eliminate the casting blocks on the resin parts?

Anyway, the seats seem to be very detailed and the PE instrument panel and side consoles look great! I've read on Eduard's website that they found some more sprues of the Heller Mirage so it is possible that there will be a second release of this kit...

"Life likes to throw us curve balls, and I swung at one in July, when the Limited Edition Mirage 2000D/N sold out inside of two days. I spent a chunk of my vacation days in July trying to get an additional quantity of this kit. It appears that there will be some fruit to this labor, and the Mirage 2000D/N will be re-released in October or November."

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean Luc,
Yes Courtney is still alive, as I have a ingenious way of getting rid of resin dust as its produced.
A vacuum tube clamped to the bench while I am sanding, you have to make sure anything on the bench is put away before turning the vacuum on though .

The casting blocks were removed with my trusty resin saw, then sanded down.

I read that statement from Eduard yesterday, which helped my decision to go with the D version, as I can model the N version at a later date.
Its good news for everyone who didn't mange to get their hands on this kit.
Thanks for the kind comments on the cockpit guys, once it all went together it looks pretty good.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
Some surgery is required on this kit for the resin sets. The red areas need to be cut out and trimmed.

No 1 - ground power receptacle.
No 2 - Engine exhaust. The rear of the fuselage has to be cut away up to the panel line.
No 3 - Sabre Jammer

No 1 - Wing elevons
No 2 - ICMS Mk 2 EW aerials. The front has a slit cut out 6mm long the rear 8mm long.
Now I am off to it up .
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:47 AM UTC
Now I remember why I build mainly OOB .
The resin set is beautifully crafted, the ex Heller kit isn't .
I also think the resin set is for the C version of this kit as some parts, notably the exhaust and the Sabre Jammer don't quite line up.
Anyhow, the build continues.
Before putting the wings on you will need to add a couple of spacer bars into the fuselage to eliminate the very large gaps at the wing roots.

The next two pics show most of the resin and P.E parts on, except for the dangly bits I'm bound to knock off whilst spraying it.
Another point to take note of, is that the undercarriage doors are in the closed position when the aircraft is on the ground. A little sanding is required on the doors, so they fit snugly in the wheel wells.
Now I'm off to fill all the seams, joins and the part I over-cut .
Andy

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Wow! Nice progress!

I knew I made you a poisoned gift! Sorry... but it looks nevertheless very good...

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!

Wow! Nice progress!

I knew I made you a poisoned gift! Sorry... but it looks nevertheless very good...

Jean-Luc

Thanks Jean-Luc, lets just call it a challenge .
The resin fuel tanks are really easy to work with and the only trouble I had with them is keeping them stuck on the wings as they are pretty heavy.
The camo has been applied. I used Tamiya Olive Green and WEM enamels Soviet Dark Grey as it has a hint of blue in it.
The Mirage has been Kleared and next up is the decals.
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The resin fuel tanks are really easy to work with and the only trouble I had with them is keeping them stuck on the wings as they are pretty heavy.

Hi Andy!

Things are beginning to get serious!

How did you do for the fuel tanks? Did you drill locators and added brass rods to secure them or something like that?

Jean-Luc
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hey andy your model looks great. Keep it up
I would like to see the end product.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
Thanks Guys.
This is turning into a labour of love now . I am now trying to motivate myself too add the 200 stencils found allover the Mirage. I probably will pick up another one of these kits when it gets re-released as I still want to build the N version.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!

Things are beginning to get serious!

How did you do for the fuel tanks? Did you drill locators and added brass rods to secure them or something like that?

Jean-Luc

That was the original plan, except using 30 amp fuse wire, but after the second try of superglue, they have managed to stay on. The pylons are a perfect fit for the profile of the wings so the contact point for the glue is very big.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC
Finished
Well after all the trails and tribulations of this build, I can definitely say it was worth it.
There are a few taxing parts to this kit, which can drive you round the bend and on more then one occasion I nearly gave up (but I kept thinking this kit with the resin sets cost about £60, so its getting finished ), but its finished and I love it.
I also had forgotten how much I hate Eduard decals. The ones that always give me trouble are any long thin ones ( the red "no walk" ones on the wings), they just seem to want to twist and fold over themselves as soon as you look at them.
Anyhoo, one Mirage 2000 D in the markings of 612, EC.05.330 Cote d'Argent, Mont-de-Marsan,1994.
Andy

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
Great build, Andy. You really are a fast builder - not even three weeks from start to finish.

A really nice result - thanks for sharing
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Splendid!

Now you just have to find a nice concrete base to display your model. I see your Mirage collection is growing at a fast rate!
I would do a Feature article rather than a build review of it. I think your model would receive more exposure... and it would change the homepage a bit. The Resolution Center is empty since three weeks now!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build, Andy. You really are a fast builder - not even three weeks from start to finish.

A really nice result - thanks for sharing

Thanks Jesper, slow build for me then but at times it felt like longer .

Quoted Text

I see your Mirage collection is growing at a fast rate!

Just a bit, I have 2 built and 3 more in the stash, and am looking out for a Mirage F1 and a Mirage IV and to complete the set .
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Nice one mate.
I know how much you were banging your head against the wall at stages during this build, but its turned out really nice.
Looking forward to seeing it at Medway
Nige
 _GOTOTOP