_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Scratchbuilt seat belts
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:23 AM UTC
How would I make seat belts for a 1/48 scale plane? I don't want to use the decals included in the kit. I'm working on an SBD Dauntless.

Thanks!
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC
Try this trick: Go to a well-stocked stationery store and get some tan colored paper. Cut thin strips as long as you require. Then dip them in a solution of watered down white glue. Once they're soft, drape the strips over your seat where you want them to be. Let them dry. Now order up some of Voyager Models' photo etch belt buckles (example here: http://www.squadron.com/NoStock.asp?item=VY48002 or http://www.rollmodels.net/search/newsrch.php) and glue them down to the paper seat belts at the appropriate places.

Regards-
Mark
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC
You can use lead-foil or masking tape for the belts and thin wire to make the buckles.
Btw, if the only bad thing about the decal belts is the absence of scale thickness, you can still use them. Apply them to lead foil, paper or other suitable material, and when dry trim to shape with scissors and a modeling knife.
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 09:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the help, guys!

Good idea, Eetu. I think I'll try that. That was one of my problems. The other one is that they are very bright, bold brown. How would I tone that down?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 07:48 PM UTC
You could use photo etched belts (PE), Eduard do a wonderful range and you can get pre-painted ones which are superb. I prefer to make my own from PE buckles and wine bottle "lead" foil (actually mine is from Port bottles)

Mal
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
Those seatbelts look great, Mal! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP