_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Scratchbuilt radio wire
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 09:01 AM UTC
What would I use for the radio wire on an SBD? I'm talking about the wire that runs from the tip of the rudder to the antennae in front of the cockpit.
(This is not my picture. It belongs to ModelGuy2.)
Another question: how would I attach it? Would I pin it between the fuselage halves when I glue them together?

Thanks!
LSOCV171945
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 09:47 AM UTC
I use 1 lb test fishing line. Any sporting goods store has this. I attach the line with super glue and accelerator. I don't try to attach the line tight because I can tighten the line with a heated solder tip once I get both ends attached. Get the tip close enough in the middle of the line without overheating and breaking the line, and when the line tightens (you will see this) your done. At the attachment points (rudder and antenna) I make the insulators using super glue which I slowly build up until I am satisfied. The insulators and line can be painted with acrylics or metallizers.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC
Yep I use much the same method but I use smoke coloured invisible mending thread.

The rest of the sequnce can be found HERE

For attching the wire coming off the main wire, into the fuselage, simpley take a length of your "wire" dip the end int super glue and touch the tip to the main wire. Trust your 3d vision, it is quite easy. You dod need to get just the very end attached to the wire and not to the side of it. Then pass it thrue a pre drilled hole. A drop of super glue touched on the "wire", just above the hole, will secure it, when you push the "wire" in, just to were the glue is (if that makes sense )

Mal
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
Mal

Any pointers on where to locate a supplier of small drill bits? I can't remember what size you said you use - was it 0.1mm?

Andy
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal

Any pointers on where to locate a supplier of small drill bits? I can't remember what size you said you use - was it 0.1mm?

Andy

Try Micro Mark. They have a few sets that go down to 1/64 of an inch. I don't know about 0.1mm, though. That's pretty small!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC
Great Tips Guys, I was always wondering the best way to do this.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
Andy, Keep an eye out at any of the shows your going to I got a set at Newark or Telford a couple of years ago and the bits range from 0.2 to 1.9. I think it may have have been someone like Cammet or Little Cars. Hope this helps
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Cheers Allen.

i think Little cars do something along those lines having looked at the web site, i've got to picka scriber up from them at Doncaster anyway.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Sorry Andy I forgot to look back on this.

I use 0.2mm but my last one broke some time back and they cost a fortune. 0.3mm bits are easy to get hold of and sets tend to start at 0.3mm, but 0.2mm is a different story. A local tool shop will get me some 0.2mm but I have to buy 10 and at £2.70 each that's expensive. I haven't been worried of late though because I have moved up a scale and will be able to use 0.3mm. To be honest you can use 0.3mm but for some applications they are just too big. Oh and if you do find a source of 0.2mm drill bits do let me know and you will need 2-3 or more because they will break if you look at them the wrong way

Mal
 _GOTOTOP