_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
cracked canopy repair, can it be done?
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
ok, i recently bought an airfix fouga magister kit from ebay, when it arrived it was in great condition apart from the canopy, which is cracked two thirds from back to front. because its a 76/77 release theres no chance of a spare from airfix, and i can't find a vac replacement either.
is there a way to repair this type of damage? i'm thinking it might be possible to cut out the damaged glazing but leaving the canopy frames which can could be glued together and painted, then hopefully the missing glazing could be replaced with clearfix.
but before i try that i thought i'd ask if theres an easier way.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hmm, never had the problem myself, but perhaps if it is a simple hairline crack you could put some Future in the crack and see if that helps make it disappear. If it doesn't work you could always wash it off with rubbing alcohol.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
You might be able to seal the crack with a liquid solvent, polish the canopy then seal with Future. You might want to use yours as a pattern for vac forming a new one.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 06:17 PM UTC
micheal- its a break, right through. if it had gone another centimetre it would have broken it in two halves
gerald- i actually have gathered together the wood and bits and bobs to make a little vac machine, but i thought i would ask here if there was anything else i could try. the thought occurrs that because there are two decal options in this kit , if i get another from ebay i can experiment on the broken one, and still have one to use as a pattern if it doesn't work out.
i'll dig it out from the loft later on and post up a pic to give you a better idea of what the damage is
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC
This is not the real answer to your question but still, often the canopies are covered with a canvas when the airplane is waiting on the airstrip. Could this help to hide the broken canopy window?
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
When you have a crack, you will never make it go away 100%, it has something to do with light travelling from one medium (air) to another medium (plastic canopy).

If you put liquid solvent in the crack, it will ruin you canopy because liquid solvent will make the plastic "cloudy"

I don't know if there is an actual gap between the two parts of the cracked canopy. I f so you could try reducing the visibility of the seam with Micro Kristal Klear. The product claims nearly invisble seams when glueing clear parts but to be honest I don't have much faith in it.
 _GOTOTOP