_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
flight deck colour for aussie huey!
aussiemodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
does anyone know of the rough federal standard code for the flight deck in the aussie hueys? i have the dragon kit and will be making a late one! then i want to do an aussie vietnam based one! love some help! thanks
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
I believe they are the same medium grey as US Hueys.
aussiemodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
sorry what i meant to say was, i have seen the flight deck in black and the grey! but is the rest of the cabin and the troop/cargo area the same grey?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
Now I follow. Before the early '80s, both the flight deck and rear cabin were grey. When Night Vision Goggles began being used in the '80s, the flight deck was changed to all black to be compatible with the NVGs, grey washes them out and is too bright. The rear cabin was left in grey. So it depends on when you are building it from. Pre mid-'80s all grey. Post mid-'80s would be black cockpit and grey rear cabin.
aussiemodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
cool cool thank you ! it thought it was something like that! cheers!
aussiemodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
well i still have'nt workedout how i am going to turn my new trupeter huey instrament panels black yet??? seeing how they are pre-painted! and my nerve's are nowhere nere good enough to try to "black out" the blue-grey! maybe if i use acrilic and make a "wash" thats a little thicker than a normal wash and do that a phew time ??? capillary action works ith wheels! why not this? and also has anyone realised how over done the rivet detail is in the kit??? you would have thought dragon would have fixed that bit?? oh well tis still a pretty good kit though! and so over time too! at least it comes with a few extras to bring it close to the last way the aussie hues where till last year! a few things but not much! any who i'll post the picks here as i go. cheers
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 02:59 PM UTC
Good luck on repainting the PE instrument panel. If you don't want to give it a try, I can send you the Revell UH-1D instrument panel as a swap. It is molded well and looks pretty good. I had planned on using it in a Panda UH-1D. Let me know.

Dragon didn't improve anything on the Panda kit. All they did was add the PE, figures, and new decals. It can come out nice though. I used it, along with the Cobra Company UH-1D correction set, for a UH-1H MedEvac for a customer.

More here.

Good luck.
aussiemodeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 05:07 PM UTC
i'll have a go and have som thinners at hand! to wash it off asap! hope it won't wreck the paint on the etch! and if all else fails i'll get a new set from draon and send em your way!
 _GOTOTOP