_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Display Bases in 1/48 scale
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi all!

During the last few days I made a different kind of aircraft modelling. No plastic cement, no PE parts and no decals this time, but rather white glue, railroad grass and pastel washes.
I made a visit to Marc Toillié (owner of Mark58) a couple of weeks ago and purchased some of his new 1: 48 scale display bases for aircraft models. You can see three of them below in their original unpainted state. The color comes from the tinted acrylic/mineral resin they are made of...

Now I was lucky and during my visit, I was given a lesson by Marc Toillié on on how to paint his products. Below is the result I was able to achieve...

I added grass to enhance the realism on some of them. Thanks to the tinted material, one just has to apply washes to get this nice result and I must say it was easy. Now that I was in the mood, I also did my own bases using sand, railroad grass and Silflor tufts secured with white glue. Below is the result...

I tried to reproduce different kind of vegetation from different places in the world. This way I can place any model I have in my collection on them...

I really believe that a little base makes a big difference when displaying a model! What do you think?

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc!
I think a small base makes a tremendous difference to a models presentation. Even just a plain polished wood base gives the model a lift and makes it stand out.
The Mark58 bases are stunning.
When are they going to be available online?
I hope your not going to keep them all to yourself
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope your not going to keep them all to yourself

Hi Nigel!

In fact... no! I managed to get three display bases from Mark58 for a Give Away to Aeroscale members. I just wanted to know if there was some interest for them...
I remember your wooden display bases well (Hurricane and Camel). Maybe you could post some pictures here and tell us how you made them. Does anyone else display his models on small bases (not dioramas)? I would love to see some pictures of them... other scales than 1:48 are also welcome!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc.
The Hurri and the Camel are on the same base.I think I also used it for some photos of the Cessna.Bird Dog.
Im actually planning to buy a couple more wooden bases this weekend at a show, so I'll make one up and do a feature on it if you like.
I doubt it'll come anywhere near the quality of yours though!
I dont put tufts of railroad grass on mine as they are designed for 1:72 scale, but I'll put something together next week.
All the best
Nige
jam2727
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hey Jean
That makes the models look even more realistic it's absolutley fabulous. well done mate.
Killer models
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

When are they going to be available online?

Sorry Nigel, I've missed this one. Mark58 products are only available in France by now but last time I saw Marc Toillié he said he was about to create a PayPal account...

Quoted Text

Im actually planning to buy a couple more wooden bases this weekend at a show, so I'll make one up and do a feature on it if you like.

Sounds a good idea! I myself wanted to do a "how to" feature about how to do simple display bases. But the more the better, especially since we don't do the same ones and not in the same scale...

Quoted Text

mine are designed for 1:72 scale

Mark58 will also produce bases in 1:72 and 1:32 scale in the future.

James, thanks for the kind words...

Does anybody else have an opinion about the subject matter? Don't tell me only Nigel and Myself are displaying their models on a base!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark58 will also produce bases in 1:72 and 1:32 scale in the future.

Can you hear the champagne corks popping?

Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you hear the champagne corks popping?

Hi Nigel!

Yes... I hope for you that Mark Toillié hears them too!

Below are other display bases which are available in 1:48 scale. The first picture shows the injected plastic ones made by Eduard. There is a Japanese WW2 Carrier Deck (already painted by myself), an U.S. Navy Carrier Deck (still in it's original packaging) and a PSP display base. Eduard also have a similar small "wooden" base for WW1 or WW2 models in their catalogue. I have it somewhere in my stash but unfortunately I couldn't find it... A review of it by Rowan Baylis (Merlin) can be seen here
The second picture shows a WW2 Luftwaffe Compass Platform by Verlinden. The ideal set up for an Eduard or Hasegawa Fw 190!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc.
Yes,,I'll be in the market for 1:72 bases.Im also very interested in the 1:48, and would build a kit around the base. It'll be good to work on the ICM RAF figures as well,and I have some 1:48 kits that Im very tempted to start building. I guess I just enjoy 1:72 too much right now Im also looking for that Revell equipment set that you utilised in your dispersal pen diorama.
Verlinden do some nice 1:72 PSP which would go well with a small vignette of a P47 for example, but I really dont like any of the 1:72 figures available.
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hi all!

With the Mystery Plane contest going on, I though it would be nice to dig this thread out of the forum cave.

Here are more picture of Mark 58's display base...

This is a round Luftwaffe style base, perfect for a small diorama. As you can note, the acrylic resin is tinted and only a wash is necessary to achieve a realistic finish.

As you can see with this nice scene, Marc Toillié is also a talented modeller. The base is the same as above but with some washes added.

This is a picture of the new concrete bases. On the left you have the 1/72 scale ones (28 and 20 cm) and on the right the 1/48 scale ones (28 and trefoil).

Here you can see the 1/72 scale 28 cm base with an 1/72 scale Mirage model on it.

These are the prototype acrylic resin pieces for a Vietnam style aircraft pen in 1/48 scale. It includes the concrete base as well as the anti-blast walls. It should be available now.

You can have the same kind of kit for a RAF Dispersal Pen diorama if you want, concrete base included!

This is one I'm looking forward to have in my collection. It's a round 1/48 scale concrete base with a drain system.

As you can see, Marc Toillié is very prolific! If you have questions to ask him, you can send him a mail at this adress: ([email protected]). Mark 58 is a registred company by the way, every product has a reference number and you will get an invoice if you buy something. PayPal is accepted.

If you want to see all the procuct range of Mark 58, go here: Mark 58 Unfortunately only the french version of the website is available but there are some great pictures to look at.

I will go to a modelling meeting with Marc Toillié this Sunday so I will probably have some new pictures to post by then. Stay tuned!

Jean-Luc
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
This is a great thread. The ideas and variations of these bases is great.
 _GOTOTOP