_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51D Help
dbudd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hello, I've jumped over the fence from Armorama because I bought Dragon's 1/32 P-51D as a change of pace and need some assistance. Mainly I'm looking for a set of decals for a plane that would be wearing Normandy invasion stripes and preferably have the aluminum finish. Also, I was wondering if there are pilot figures available. I've looked around at a few hobby sites and haven't really found anything.

In addition any references on the P-51 or building/weather techniques specific to aircraft models either online or books would be much appreciated.

I assume aircraft models are like armor models in that you have one (or more) projects in the works. Dogfights a few weeks ago profiled the P-47 so I haven't started the P-51 yet, but am already thinking about doing a P-47. Anywho, I saw that Trumpeter has a P-47, but is much more expensive than the P-51 and was wondering why. So, if those of you in the know about their kits would clue me in I would be thankful.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw that Trumpeter has a P-47, but is much more expensive than the P-51 and was wondering why. So, if those of you in the know about their kits would clue me in I would be thankful.

There will be a review of the Trumpeter P-47 here in the next day or two. But to clue you in on the kit, it is amazing.

1. It is very very big.
2. The engine is a project in itself.
3. Plumbing and ducting to and from the supercharger.
4. You can display the M2s in an open compartment and the barrels are slide molded (hollow).

I have compared it to the Hasegawa kit. The Hasegawa kit is fantastic, but it will probably sit on the shelf as it can't even compare to the Jug from Trumpeter.
dbudd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thanks, for the feedback. I was looking at Trumpeter's TSM2263 P-47D Thunderbolt Fighter which is really sweet. It has the exact paint scheme I want to do on my P-51 if I can find the right markings. It even has a pin up girl for the nose art. But it has a hefty price tag of $112 at greatmodels.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, for the feedback. I was looking at Trumpeter's TSM2263 P-47D Thunderbolt Fighter which is really sweet. It has the exact paint scheme I want to do on my P-51 if I can find the right markings. It even has a pin up girl for the nose art. But it has a hefty price tag of $112 at greatmodels.

They have TSM2262 (Razorback) on sale for 89.95. And it does have a pin-up duck.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 02:07 AM UTC
You could try Meteor Productions and search the manufacturers for the PYN-up Decals they do some very nice "photo finish" nose art decals. PYND32004 is a rather nice looking NMF with invasion stripes. The downside is they are only limited to 300 copies so get them while you can.

Hope this helps

dbudd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Allen, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!
dbudd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Allen, thanks again I bought the decals you recommended and got them yesterday. They are very nice and well detailed. Also, they provide a history of the pilot who flew the actual aircraft.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:28 PM UTC
No problems, I'm hoping to get a set in 1/48th for my Tamiya kit when i get paid. I might also get some for a P-61 and a P-47 as shipping to the UK is a bit pricey
 _GOTOTOP