_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
PBY-2 Catalina Diorama 1/72
Mattcooke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hi guys,

well yesterday I entered my diorama "In the Bocage" and won silver for it in the Junior category. As my prize I got a PBY-2 Catalina from Academy in 1/72. Well right away I knew what I wanted to do with it. Set it in a diorama. Here's a plan of what I have in mind:

Here's the kits I have and want to use:

(only the willy's jeep)
(maybe the US Ambulance)

Also need to get figures. So if anybody has or knows of any good figures that I could use in this diorama please tell me. I want to get these figures from CMK too:

Looking for this set too:

So I plan on having quite a few figures on this scene. Some mechanics looking at the Catalina. Some pilots walking around. Some guys unloading the deuce and a half. And some other stuff. The docks I'm going to make from scratch.(plaster and balsa) This will be third diorama and my first attempt at water but I'm looking forward to doing this one. So I need lots of help though. I need pictures of docks. Of catalinas docked. Anything that you think could help me. I will start construction on the Catalina today I think. Will post some pics when I have progress.

Daniel
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
Daniel

There was a large Cat thread on here a while back - i'll look for a link. I know that Myself, 29Foxtrot and Luck13 posted a lot in it.

http://bulldogs.kitmaker.net/forums/85545#712640

Small word of advice. Steer clear of the decals in the kit and buy some good after market ones.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC
Sounds like a good idea. You definently have lined a lot of things up for the diorama.

How do you plan to do the water?

Looking forward to see more when you get started.
Mattcooke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:18 AM UTC
Thanks Andy for that link. Some great stuff there. I love it.

@Jesper:Don't know yet what I will do for the water. Will have to see.

Daniel
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Daniel!

Seems to be a very interesting project! I can't wait to see the first pictures...

There will be quite some activity in the scene!

Jean-Luc
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC
Daniel - A very ambitious project, I wish you all the best with it. By your sketch it's going to be quite large, well over 60cm x 60cm, the last time I tackled a project of that size it took me over a year to build it. I look forward to seeing your progress. You've picked a great subject and the dock activity you've outlined sounds quite spectacular.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Wow, Daniel! That looks like an awsome project! Will it be set in Pearl Harbour (thus fitting excellently in the newly started "rumble in the far east"-campaign) or do you have any other particular base in mind?

I experimented a little waterbased diorama in 1/72, but at a much smaller scale, see link here. Maybe you can pick up some ideas? Given your drawing, please be aware that you will need a whole lot of resin-based watermix if you opt for "see through"-water.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers!

PolarBear (who may propose a Flying Boat campaign sometime in the forseeable future)
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PolarBear (who may propose a Flying Boat campaign sometime in the forseeable future)

I'll assist if you propose.

Sorry to but i've been thinking about it.

Andy
Mattcooke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 04:22 AM UTC
Yeah I'm here with an update on the diorama. Sorry that's my first update is a little but I had a problem getting the paint for this diorama. Well I've changed my idea a bit. Here I've made a drawing again.

I already made the GPA and made some figures for it too. Just some paint on it and it's finished.

The inside of the catalina is done.(sorry for the quality of the pics)I'm now going to close it up and start on the outside.

Will have another update as soon as I have one. Hope you guys like it. Maybe I'll get some better pics in the future too.

Daniel
Mattcooke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I changed my idea from a GPA to a DUKW. Here is the 1/72 Italeri DUKW. Hope you like it.

I also thought it would be interesting to have the two guys in the back, have them drinking some Coke. I scratched the bottles out of stretched sprue. Hope you like it.

Daniel
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
Wow that is a very detailed kit, especially for 1/72. The paint quality is very good also. This is looking like a very intersting story to watch.

Chas
Mattcooke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
Thanks Chas.

Daniel
 _GOTOTOP