Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dauntless instrument panel problem
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC
I'm building Accurate Miniature's SBD-3 Dauntless and have reached the point at which I apply the decal to the back of the instrument panel so that it is visible from the front. As far as I can tell, the decal will have to have the adhesive on the front for it to stick to the panel with the instruments showing through the holes (unless I apply it to the front of the panel). If I apply it with the back of the decal to the back of the panel, then all the instruments will be reversed on the panel and won't be visible from the front. Does this make sense?

I have always though of dacals as having adhesive on one side; the side that is on the paper. I f that is not the case then there's my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
How about applying the decal to a thin piece of plastic card and then cutting it to size and gluing it to the back of the instrument panel? In theory you would be "sandwiching" the decal between the plastic (similar to using the clear acetate with etch/resin)

Hope this helps

Allen
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 124 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
How about using some future and then placing the decal on it? As far as I know, future works as a glue as well.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Samuel!

Oh Yes, It makes perfect sense!

Been there, done that....

The decal glue is not only on the back side of the decal, but also on the paper itself!
Cut out and soak as usual, and when the decal comes loose, simply pick It up (carefully), turn the decal around and let it touch the paper again.
You should now have enough glue on the correct side of the decal for it to stick.

Otherwise, a drop of future will work as glue (as already mentioned).

Cheers!

Stefan E
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:49 AM UTC
Thanks so much guys for the tips! I was beginning to think that I would have to leave it off entirely!

I'll think I'll try your idea, Stefan. Could I put Future on it as well as turning it over on the paper?

Also, my kit doesn't come with instructions for the decals. How long do you soak them in the water? I assume after they have been soaked, you just apply them the normal way.

Thanks
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi Samuel, another option is to just paint the panel black, cut out the individual dials and apply them separately - it's a bit fiddly, but works out very well in the end...But the way you are going sounds excellent as well (wish I'd thought of it...) cheers Brad
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi guys!

I tried the method of turning the decal over on the paper as well as putting a drop of Future on it, and it turned out great!

(The green is the wrong color in the pics)

Thanks for the tips!
 _GOTOTOP