_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hs 123 Latest update
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
:-) Well after masking off and painting the fabric covered areas with RLM 70 Blackgreen lightend with medium sea grey, those areas where masked off and the metal areas were sprayed neat RLM 70 and the masking, apart from the cockpit wind screen, was removed. The masking was pretty complicated, at the nose and around wing struts and under carriage, but I'm pleased with the outcome, except I broke off one of the wing struts while removing the masking. Should be relatively easy to fix, I hope :-)

The flash has made the contrast of the 2 shades more pronounced than it actually is.

I'm quite pleased so far, looking farward to getting the decals on. :-)
Mal
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
wow, as usual very nice work, that is gonna look great

Bender
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
Very nice Mal. Do you prime with anything before the base coat goes on?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
:-) Bryan, I prime with Auto plastic primer, then smooth it with wire wool. :-)
Latest pics, added straight RLM 70, well thinned to the depressions in the fabric:

Starting to look the part now. :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
:-) Fixed the wing strut (that was not easy) and applied 2 coats of clear, I wil try and decal this tomorrow, and post more pics then :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
:-) Decals on, used the kit markings. There aren't many but they all needed trimming and when I took the pics they were still refusing to snuggle down, but they will

Mal
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
Great stuff Mal.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
Nice stuff!
Question - I see that one of the top wing braces is on/then off. How much of the AC do you normally test fit for painting? I usually paint as separate subassemblies and then glue it afterwards.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Scott,

Quoted Text

Question - I see that one of the top wing braces is on/then off. How much of the AC do you normally test fit for painting? I usually paint as separate subassemblies and then glue it afterwards.

The main struts were a very poor fit, so required some serious filling, therefor they had to be attached prior to painting. I would have prefered to leave them off until after painting,as handling the plane during painting caused me to break one off. Lukily it came off clean, looks like the glue contact area wasn't very great, and only chipped a little of the filler. I was able to get it back in position and all I have to do now is re-fill where the filler chipped. I will use white glue (no sanding needed) then touch up the paint work.
I work with as many or as few sub assemblies as eases painting and construction. Generally main airframe complete, with no dangly bits, For painting. If I can leave the cowling off, and therefor the engine, as per the Corsair, I will. If the paint demarcation goes over the cowling I will probably tack it into position, with white glue or Blue Tack :-)
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
Nice work as usual, Mal.
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
I wish I could wingy thingies like this. Great job.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
I tried this kit when I was 7 it looks like crap,oh well at least It has a paint job. as I remember I had a heck of a time installing the inner struts....they are still not touching the wing! #:-) good job on yours tho!
Howitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
One word: SWEET!!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
:-) Airwarrior

Quoted Text

I had a heck of a time installing the inner struts....they are still not touching the wing!

Then you did it right. If the outer, main struts are positioned correctly then the inner "N" struts wont touch, as these don't, but they will. When the top wing is placed with its locating holes engaged on the main strut tab the centre part of the wing is about 2mm from the top of the "N" struts. What I propose to do is; put gap filling CA in the "N" strut locating holes and white glue in the main strut locations (they need to move slightly, for longer). I will position the top wing on the main struts, then while exerting pressure on the centre of the wing, with the thumb of one hand I will guid the locating pins of the "N" struts into their locating holes. I've practice this a bout 1/2 a dozen times, with no problems. Once located it's just a matter of holding it until the CA dries :-) It will be fun.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP