_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Airbrushing without a Spraybooth
bohh33
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

Is it possible? Can you airbrush with detail and good quality without a spray booth? I imagine you'd have to go outside and I would assume from that - that quality would suffer. Is this true? I'm just starting and a spray booth would be a big investment. Any tips to get me by until I get one?

Thanks,

-Mike
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hi,

I don't think that having a spray booth or not would really affect the quality of your work. If you can spray in a well ventilated area and if you wear a protective mask you will be ok. I personally spray outdoors in the summer time

Good luck,

Mike
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC
Mike,

You do not need a spray booth. I have been using foam board on top of garbage cans in my garage for a while. Since I use acrylics the vapors are almost non existent. If you were to use enamels or lacquers a booth would be beneficial, as long as it vents to the outside. Good lighting is quite important too.

If anything, get a good compressor with a pressure regulator. I bought a 7 gallon capacity compressor from Home Depot for about $100. And I can use it for around the house stuff too.

-Derek
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 06:56 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

IMO a spraybooth is a 'nice to have'.

For spraying from a rattle can for priming figures I spray outside. For priming and spraying larger models with an AB, I simply set up a tressle table in the garage, open the doors, and spray.

HTH

Rudi
Milhouse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

I airbrush on my dining room table with a small booth made from a cut-in-half cardboard box. I also use acrylics so there's no smell, and the odd occasion I use Alclad laquers I wait until my wife has gone out! As long as you're careful, use fairly low pressure (which you should be for airbrushing), you'll be fine.

On the other hand, I do all my priming with halfords grey enamel undercoat, that's either the loft or outside, that stuff stinks!

As already mentioned, use a mask all the time. Have fun, Nick
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:00 PM UTC
Purchase a cheap box fan, tape a furnace filter to the intake side. Set fan in open window (so it blows the air outside), turn on...instant exhaust system. The filter collects the particulates and the fumes go out the window. Do your painting close to the fan. Don't paint any faster than your fan can dissipate the paint cloud. You can do the same with a cardboard box and a shop vac. Most come with two different sized hoses. Use the large one to connect to the back of the box through an appropriately sized hole. Use the smaller hose on the outflow side and stick the other end in/out the window. Be sure your vac has a filter of some type preferably paper. Instant paint booth.
 _GOTOTOP