_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Aeromaster
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:33 PM UTC
Fellow String Baggers,
After shopping and bidding on ebay for most things WW I that are no longer available, I can see that Aeromaster has had quite a fine selection of decals for various machines at one time or another but are no longer in print. Their 5 color lozenge looks very good in particular. It would seem to me that with Eduard releasing Weekend Edition kits with only one marking scheme that this would be a great time to re-release these sets. What can we do as consumers to let Aeromaster know that these sets still have value to them and that they may even sell better than when originally released?! I know that my local hobby shop cant keep the Albatros kits on the shelf and that the online guys are selling out fairly quickly as well. What to do?
Dwayne
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:49 PM UTC
I assume you do know that AeroMaster is now part of Squadron
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:59 PM UTC
Dwayne,
I am sure Stephen will chime in here soon. He knows the scoop behind EagleStrike Aeromaster Squadron decals. We are all frustrated with the lack of 5 color lozenge decals available. I am currently making my own. I am trying to get the colors more correct, and have asked Stephen for some assistance. I am tweeking my colors and textures in Photoshop and wont have to rely on someone else for decals. I hope to produce all my decals soon, as I am a technical Illustrator by trade and have access to all the software. SPADA decals is coming out with some 5 color lozenge they are working with DSA on, but still nothing. Anway, we feel your pain.

Jeff
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
Chuck,
I knew they took over Eagle Strike but I was not aware that Squadron had acquired Aeromaster as well! Holy Ruppert Murdoch Batman!!!!!!! I hope that this is not a sad trend that we can expect for the future where one company holds the manufacturing and distribution rights to a whole segment of the hobby! I understand that our little neck of the hobby landscape may not hold the greatest profit margins, but to gobble up one of our best resources and then ignore the consumers is not fair and may result in a change in my shopping patterns. I realize that my local shop buys from Squadron as well and that I cant avoid them entirely, however, I can try! Please Mr Squadron, let my decals flow!!!!!!!
Dwayne
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC
Jeff,
That is very interesting and encouraging news and I personally wish you luck if you decide to market your designs. You know you can count on at least one customer!
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dwayne, I am sure Stephen will chime in here soon. He knows the scoop behind EagleStrike Aeromaster Squadron decals. We are all frustrated with the lack of 5 color lozenge decals available. . . Anway, we feel your pain. Jeff

Greetings all; Jeff has portrayed the tone of the current situation well and I don't see any need to rehash that. BUT Test shots of a set of lozenge decals are being done even as we read these words. From a recent e-mail. Aug. 10, 2007

"Stephen:
Just to keep you informed, work is progressing (slowly) on the decals. I have made contact with the manufacturing connection. I have gotten the first set of test samples for the 5-color upper pattern. They need some minor tweeking. As soon as I have something that suits me I'll send you some samples.

Cheers!
Michael Angelo"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Since this thread was about the Aeromaster lozenge let me dicuss this. When they first came out back in the early 1990's It was noted that several of the colours in both their 4 & 5 colour sets were off by a large margin. It was the Eagle Strike sets that came closest to the original colours.

All other decal sets have their merits but in my opinion Eagle Strike was the best. Aeromaster's owner Gaston Bernal asked several of us in the modeling community to weigh in and help define the colours. Otis Goodin, Steve Hustad and myself were just a few of the panel members.

The main concern these days has been representing the "texturing" of lozenge decals to make them look more like fabric after application. Aeroscale's own Brad Cancian has a keen eye for this. And it has been mentioned before but bears saying again. I have learned alot from this fine modeler.

In short Aeromaster decals are not the best but can be worked with. Some plugger here abouts did well enough at the 2000 IPMS Nationals in Dallas Tx. with this modified DML1/48 Fokker D. VII.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC

1/48 DML Kit Fokker D.VII 6578/18 Grooming a Thoroughbred - 2nd place a/c Dioramas IPMS Nationals 2000
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 01:04 PM UTC
Stephen,
Did Aeromaster redo their lozenge based on your recommendations because the set I picked up on ebay looks very close to the few sets of Eagle Strike that I've been able to get?
I'm also interested in the sheets they did for various aircraft such as the Albatros and Spad. You really don't sound very optimistic in regard to seeing any of that in the near future. Its a shame if not. They can still be had though and lets face it, the amount of material I have accumulated to this point will take some time to complete anyway.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all; Jeff has portrayed the tone of the current situation well and I don't see any need to rehash that. BUT Test shots of a set of lozenge decals are being done even as we read these words. From a recent e-mail. Aug. 10, 2007

"Stephen:
Just to keep you informed, work is progressing (slowly) on the decals. I have made contact with the manufacturing connection. I have gotten the first set of test samples for the 5-color upper pattern. They need some minor tweeking. As soon as I have something that suits me I'll send you some samples.

Cheers!
Michael Angelo"

On the contrary Dewayne I am very optimistic. Posting your support here will be good as I'll send the link to Michael.
 _GOTOTOP