_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Italeri RNZAF P-40 with paint
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Finally got a coat of paint down on this bird, have added decals and done some weathering on the upper surfaces. Shes going to be a RNZAF Plane based in the pacific. The roundels are homemade by a bloke in Auckland.

goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 04:37 PM UTC
Nice, I didn't know that Italeri even made a P-40 kit. How was the overall fit putting her together? Is this still in production or is this a collectors item?
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
Michael,
it is a pretty good kit, from what I have heard it is a rebox of the old ERTL kit with a few extras, it is only a recent release so there should be plenty out there.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:40 PM UTC
Very interesting. I just bought this kit yesterday at my LHS. I am planning to let it be my entry into the pacific war campaign - possibly along with a Japanese KI-115.

I have only constructed the cockpit so far. It came together well, but the details are a little rough especially on the instrument panel.

Did you use the kit decals for the white lines or did you mask and paint them?
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:18 PM UTC
Jesper,
My reaction was the same in regards to the cockpit, butbeing a tread head I was going to push myskill limits.
The white lines are a bit of both, I used the kit decals but the dak green undereath showed through quite badly, so I masked the off and put a coat of white paint over the top just to give the stripe a more solid look. HTH
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hey Andrew
Looking good.

My father in law flew both P40s and corsairs towards the end of WW2 he was an instructor but he did 1 tour up in the islands his log book makes for interesting reading.
Best of luck with the build thats' 1 for my to build list

Can i ask a couple of questions
What scale???
have you used an after market cockpit detail set???
Are the decals commercially available???

Cheers
Chris

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:22 PM UTC
The kit is definently an old ERTL mould as the brand is still on the sprues

The scale is 1/48.

Lots of decals is available commercially, but there are 6 options included in the kit, so there should not really be any need for extra decals. There are decal options for Brazilian, Dutch, British, New Zealand, US planes. I cannot remember the last decal option.

There are also the option for bombs or a drop tank in the kit and two different cockpit styles.

So far an okay kit, but nothing out of the ordinary. Looks like a good kit for a reasonable price although I have not finished the kit yet.
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:47 AM UTC
Cheers Chris, a log book is a neat bit of history to have. Like Jesper says, this is in 1/48th, no aftermarket set just straight OOB. I don't think the decals are commercially available sorry I got them through a friend. Jesper the most common mistake for the RNZAF decals is that the the modelling companies make them too light, they should be a dark blue like the ones I have used. The mistake seems to have come from when one of the first manufacterers got the colours from a wreck that had been in the sun for a very long time.
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

6 options included in the kit, so there should not really be any need for extra decals. There are decal options for Brazilian, Dutch, British, New Zealand, US planes. I cannot remember the last decal option.

The option that you forgot is for the Aussies.. Cleopatra III
 _GOTOTOP