_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The early bird gets the. . . part II
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC
Heads up folks it is on its way! Details to be announced very shortly, but I would take some time to survey your "to build" stack and choose one. OR IF YOU HAVE A PARTIALLY BUILT KIT IN HAND it can be finished for this contest. Yes folks just like last year. Things may develop rapidly but it looks as though I'll be giving kits and PE away again this year.

The rules will give you all the details. But here are some hints.

1.The build has to be for this contest. Nothing built previous to 2007

2. Any kit any scale but it has to be predominantly plastic or resin.

3. I will not be competeing in this. But as a judge I have to say, don't let me see any seams in your completed build.

4. There will be second or third prizes.

5. I will try to answer all posts and queries here to help you with your builds. But this may only be with a reference to a source of information. You do the research and the building.

6. For Rowan and I to judge this thing we have to see your work and you have to tell us what you did. But there will be limits to how many images and how much text.

7. These are Not the rules....just hints.

8. I will use this thread to answer questions about references.

9. The Con thread will be for you to post your questions about the rules and post your results. As of this writing the rules have not been posted yet.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:12 AM UTC
Oh goody, I've been sitting on my Revell 1/28 Fokker Triplane and Copper State Models accessories just for such an occasion.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh goody, I've been sitting on my Revell 1/28 Fokker Triplane and Copper State Models accessories just for such an occasion.

Which must have been uncomfortable? Is your place that small?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi Steve,
This may seem a bit of a dense question, but I'm a little confused.
What are the specifics of the theme for this comp?
Can I use what i am building at the moment?
Do I have to look at my stash for another possible entrant?

Thanks,

Hugh
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:35 AM UTC
Stephen are you nuts?? Compete against Brad Cancian, like that's going to happen.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,
This may seem a bit of a dense question, but I'm a little confused.
What are the specifics of the theme for this comp?
Can I use what i am building at the moment?
Do I have to look at my stash for another possible entrant?

Thanks,

Hugh

Greetings Hugh,
A. Specifics and theme to be announced with the rules. But as it is the Early Aviation Contest

B.Details to be announced very shortly, but I would take some time to survey your "to build" stack and choose one. OR IF YOU HAVE A PARTIALLY BUILT KIT IN HAND it can be finished for this contest. . .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen are you nuts?? Compete against Brad Cancian, like that's going to happen.

Ahh but the fear you live with may not be at issue grasshopper! Brad is a busy man and the contest rules will attempt to level the playing field. The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. Meditate , clear your mind. Its the early bird that gets the worm. . .and the second mouse who gets the cheese.
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 01:27 PM UTC
Stephen,

You are usually right my friend, but if Brad enters his 1/32 Alb that he is curently working on, we're all going for second place.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 02:09 PM UTC
We shall see.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 02:37 PM UTC
Steve,

So my in Progress build at the moment may be eligable... It is sort of starting to resemble one of "Lu Tze's" Bansai Mountains with the rate at which it is progressing(*)

Jeff,

Looks like you are setting us all up for a challenge here...
I reckon even Brad is capable of making an error. He is Human afterall, not withstanding the fact that he details almost exclusively for god... And that is by no means a criticism of Brad... or his work... There is a reason he gets all these commissions afterall.

Cheers,

Hugh

* See "The Thief of Time" by Terry Pratchett
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey how come I get singled out here??

I definately wouldn't be counting any chickens yet fellas, my builds are far from perfect, and I gotta say that there certainly will be some mightly stiff competition from the completed and in-progress builds I have seen on this site! Plus my building rate at the moment is at a snail's pace!

Stephen - I seem to recall last year that there was a restriction on manufacturer of the kit (I think last year the kits could only be Eduard kits) - no such restriction this time?

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey how come I get singled out here?? . . .Stephen - I seem to recall last year that there was a restriction on manufacturer of the kit (I think last year the kits could only be Eduard kits) - no such restriction this time? BC

Correct Brad, any early aviation kit subject.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:49 AM UTC
Alright ladies and gentlemen the game is afoot. Remember this thread will be for model building questions the main contest thread will be for explanation of the rules and posting your results.
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC
I have begun work on the kit, but I have a question about references. I have Squadron's Fokker Dr. I in action, and Albatros Production's Fokker Dr. I Jagdstaffeln, with the really nice line drawings already blown up to scale. I have chosen to do the Red Baron's mount, and I was wondering if there are any other references that would aid me in ensuring this build is accurate?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
I am getting everything together for th "Seven Swabians" Build up. I have a wonderful decal sheet and a bunch of D.VIIs.

One problem is that the decals state it was a Fokkerbuilt Aircraft, while the line drawings show it was OAW built. Since we all strive for accuracy, which one was it?

The decal painting guide also says a chocolate colored cowling is appropriate. I would think a burgundy colored cowling would probably be closer.

Thanks for your usually prompt and accurate answers, as I know they are coming.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have begun work on the kit, but I have a question about references. I have Squadron's Fokker Dr. I in action, and Albatros Production's Fokker Dr. I Jagdstaffeln, with the really nice line drawings already blown up to scale. I have chosen to do the Red Baron's mount, and I was wondering if there are any other references that would aid me in ensuring this build is accurate?

Greetings Mike; The Squadron in Action book has multiple caption errors. The Dr.I special and a book called "RICHTHOFEN" by A.E. Ferko (also an Albatros publications / Windsock ) are your best references on the subject of MvR's Dr.I types.. Good luck!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am getting everything together for th "Seven Swabians" Build up. I have a wonderful decal sheet and a bunch of D.VIIs.

One problem is that the decals state it was a Fokker built Aircraft, while the line drawings show it was OAW built. Since we all strive for accuracy, which one was it?

The decal painting guide also says a chocolate colored cowling is appropriate. I would think a burgundy colored cowling would probably be closer.

Thanks for your usually prompt and accurate answers, as I know they are coming.

Greetings Carl; The Seven Swabians was painted on Fok. D.VII (OAW)4649/18 and was assigned to Jasta 64w . Here is a bit of background on the marking from a "children's story."

7 Swabians folklore

The wheels should not be overpainted a solid colour but the typical OAW factory Green center with a mauve outer circle to the wheel cover rim. The brown has been decribed via the NASM (Fokker D.VII 4635/18 "U.10" was also from Jasta 64w originally.) as a chocolate brown. These schemes were done in the field of course and the brown and grey colours may have varied from machine to machine .

The pilot was a Gefr. (private) Schutzel.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:57 AM UTC
That is the one. Thanks again to the one who answers all, Stephen Lawson. What they said about you is true. You help everybody with your wealth of knowledge. I am really appreciative, as I need more help than the average person.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:07 PM UTC
Sorry Guys, Another Question without Notice.
Can I build something from after the war? In other words, can my build be from anywhere between 1904 and 1934?

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Guys, Another Question without Notice. Can I build something from after the war? In other words, can my build be from anywhere between 1904 and 1934? Cheers, Hugh

Quoted Text

Alright ladies and gentlemen the game is afoot. Remember this thread will be for model building questions the main contest thread will be for explanation of the rules and posting your results.

Hey Hugh see the answer over on the context thread.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
The Seven Swabians will need to wait a bit longer to escape from the closet.. I have decided to do the fantastic Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr.I. instead. I will post pics in the next few days, on the other thread of course.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:59 AM UTC
Don't forget this thread can be used to ask any question concerning your builds. The other is for the contest rules and posting the images for the contest.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 06:47 PM UTC
Stephen,

I have a 1/72 Fokker F.1 and a 1/72 Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 waiting to be built. I'd like to enter them into the contest. I've never done a contest here before. What do I need to do?

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen,

I have a 1/72 Fokker F.1 and a 1/72 Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 waiting to be built. I'd like to enter them into the contest. I've never done a contest here before. What do I need to do?

Mark

1. Build the aircraft.
2. Post Photos
3. Await the Fickle Finger of Fate
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Stephen,

Mark

1. Build the aircraft.
2. Post Photos
3. Await the Fickle Finger of Fate

First Read the rules then what CaptainA said. . .
 _GOTOTOP