_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Just Finished: Tamiya P-51B
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:58 AM UTC
Greetings-

Wrapped this project up today. This is Tamiya's P-51B in 1:48 scale. The finish is Floquil Old Silver, buffed out with a rotary tool and a soft wheel. The kit provides "paper" drop tanks, but since I always liked the look of the teardrop tanks, I used some Hasegawa leftovers instead, only minor modifications were necessary.

Thanks for looking, enjoy the photos-

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC
I think this is every bit as good as that FW 190.
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC
Great job! I like the tires and overall stressed metal look.
TheZOX
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Very nice finish. Looks like real metal.
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 05:41 PM UTC
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:46 PM UTC
Nice work. I happen to have an ICM Mustang I want to do one of these days when I get some other projects out of the way. I might try the buffing technique you used one of these days. Do you have any tips for getting it right the first time?
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work. I happen to have an ICM Mustang I want to do one of these days when I get some other projects out of the way. I might try the buffing technique you used one of these days. Do you have any tips for getting it right the first time?

Yes! Go to www.widgetsupply.com and type in item#BBB06 (1" muslin buffing wheel). Order up a few of these, they have a 1/8" shank and should fit into most Dremel-type tools. Spray on your silver paint (not buffing metalizers, just regular. I like Floquil). Spray your darker panels first. The mask them. Now spray the lighter silver over the entire model. Then remove the masking from the darker panels. Don't worry about any adverse effects the masking left on the darker panels, the buffing process should remove or greatly diminish these. Let dry for a few hours, preferably overnight, the paint should be nice and hard. Now it's ready to buff. Set your rotary tool at a slow speed, then make gentle passes over small areas. Keep the tool moving, you don't want to risk cutting into the paint too deeply in any one place. Notice no buffing compounds are required. I recommend wearing a dust mask, as the wheel will throw out a lot of loose fibers. Switch to a new wheel if you get a lot of paint build-up on the first wheel. You should be wearing soft cotton gloves during the buffing process, as the finish will be sensitive to your finger oils and will easily pick up fingerprints. If this happens, just buff them out. To maintain the true aluminum look, do not clearcoat the model. This means your decals cannot be sealed, unless you brush a clearcoat on each decal. I did brush on Polyscale clear flat on the nose checker decal, and the top wing insignia. The rest I left alone.

Good luck with that-
Regards,
Mark
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Wow! That's not metalizer paint? The finish is superb! Thanks for the tips of buffing with a motor-tool - I'll definitely have to give it a try with some of the standard metallic paints I've got.

All the best

Rowan
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Awsome model. Very well done. Congrats !!!
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
Great job. I tried the buff job on an old wwi Nieuport . Except I tried doing it by hand with no dremel....didnt work very well. I'll try the more rpm method next time

_GOTOTOP