Messed up the Corsair...
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
Ya.
I had just finished putting all of the decals on my beautiful looking Corsair, and airbrushed another coat of Future over 'em this morning. However, the future was a little thinck on the side and developed a drip. I knew that if I touched it, it'd be ruined so I waited for it to dry.

I carved the drip off with a sharp X-acto. Then I took some worn sandpaper and very lightly sanded over the remaints of the drip. Apparently I ribbed too hard (which is really hard to believe) and went down to the bare plastic.

I mixed more paint the same color (to what I thought) as the base coat, and went over the bare spot. As soon as the paint touched the kit, I knew it was the wrong color. So I tried to wipe it off with my finger. It'd come off easily, as I had three coats of future under it, right?
WRONG!!!
Now there was a bare spot the size of a pencil eraser on the side of the plane.
I decided just to paint over the spot, at least it'd be blue and I could go over it again...

But anyway, I don't know how I'm going to fix this. Re-painting the whole thing is not an option, as ALL of the decals are on the plane...
With the discolored spot on the side, my one nice looking model is now craptacular.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
YodaMan, I feel for you
Is it possible to paint the area to include a complete panel. If so paint it as a freshly painted repair. Not only will it solve your problem but it should look pretty cool, I hope. Can you post a picture?
Mal
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Unfortunately, the paint gob happend right on a panel line... The affected area is on the right side of the plane, the two panels being the one that touches the rear of the cockpit and the one that touches the front of the US insignia.

To get my mind off of the paint gob, I decided to go ahead with the wash.... (you know something's coming...) So I started on the top surfaces on the wings.

Apparently, I put too much of the wash on, because on one area, it pooled up and made a milky spot on the right wing.
I'm really wanting to throw the darned kit in the box and forget about it for a year or two...
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Sorry to hear what happened.

Well, one thing you could do is put the model away for a while (and get a tank model out), relax sit back, get a can of oven cleaner and strip the whole paint job and decals off. Than you can start all over again It will not necessarily look perfect in the end, but the dark blue paint job and some selective weathering would hide any imperfection.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:12 PM UTC
Yoda, first of all let me tell you that I feel for you.

Secondly, two great pieces of advice have been given.

1. Maybe you can work the flaw into the model somehow. Perhaps if you could post a pic in the Rivet Review forum we could put our heads together and come up with a solution.

2. Put the thing away for a while and come back to it later. Chances are a solution may present itself when you least expect it.
Howitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:21 PM UTC
you could put a row of bullet holes there.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you could put a row of bullet holes there.

and you could put a cuple burn marks and cover up the screwed paint job as much as possible just whatever you do don't overdo it!
 _GOTOTOP