_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
paint to thinner ratios
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC
the best info I have has model master acryl paint used in an airbrush at a 7/3 ratio...why such an odd ratio at a larger mix volume? floquil/pollyscale at 3/1 seems lovely and best info I have no thanks to the tamiya site is 2/1. I realize there are many factors that result in a good paint app, pressure, temp ect but that model master site is rather baffling...ONLY reccomends electrical tape? or parafilm for masking. other concern is it necessary to thin out acyrlic primers? 2/1 ratio is ballpark for primer thinning? no info on manufacturer site.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi Dave.
Its very easy to drive yourself mad researching this as Im sure your finding.Different manufacturers recommend their own ratios etc, and you end up going around in circles.
The best advice I can give you,after initally doing the same sort of research into ratios as yourself, is to go for a consistency roughly equivalent to milk. Test your mixture on an old kit or a plastic bag before you go anywhere near the model.
At the end of the day, its all down to personal preference.Only after practice will you find a pressure and ratio that suits you and the paints your using.
If you look to get a milky consistency to the paint thats half the battle.
Personally,,my very rough mixture is about 70/30,I spray at about 10psi. I use Tamiya thinners with Tamiya acrylics.Humbrol thinners or household white spirit with enamels, and water with Vellejio paints. For priming I use grey Plastic Primer from a motor spares stockist in the UK.(Halfords)
Hope this helps a litle and doesnt sound too vague.
Nige
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC
Is that whole milk? I am going to stick with the tamiya thinner for their paints as I see that some modelers think that it has an additive that has the same effect as dish detergent, the milk consistency approach does make things easier...thanks for your help.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that whole milk? I am going to stick with the tamiya thinner for their paints as I see that some modelers think that it has an additive that has the same effect as dish detergent, the milk consistency approach does make things easier...thanks for your help.

Ive tried isopropyl alcohol with Tamiya paints but I get better results with their own brand thinners. I do use isopropyl for cleaning my airbrush after as its a lot cheaper and basically the same thing.
Whole milk?,,,,any milk but powdered will do I guess
Nige
 _GOTOTOP