SBD Dauntless color
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm building AM's Duantless and have run into a problem with the blue-gray camo. I used MM acrylic "US navy blue-gray M-85", yet the color looks too light. The pictures I have in Bert Kinzey's Detail and Scale bookmake it difficult, too. He has pictures of a restored aircraft, and the color matches perfectly, but all the color photos from the war (and other people's models) suggest that it should be more bluish in color. So my question is, what color do I mix with my blue-gray to achieve the proper camo?

Here is a pic of the model as it stands now:

Thanks for the help?
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
Nobody knows?!

If it looks fine, then you can say that, too.

Thanks!
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC
Sweaver,

The color looks good.

If you wanted, you could mix the blue-gray with a bit of dark blue (like a Corsair) and then give it a light over coat. Thinking of weathering as you apply. This would give some variation to the paint job and bring out some more of the contours of the plane. Maybe a 10:2 gray blue/ dark blue ratio would be good.

Other than that it looks great. I have the same kit in the "to be built" pile. How do you like it so far?

-Derek

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Sweaver

US Navy Blue Gray is a colour that's come in for a lot of interpretation. Checking David Klaus's IPMS Color Cross Reference, he lists FS 35189 as best "match", but also quotes FS 36118, FS 35177 through to FS 35237 and FS 36176 from various sources.

Go to the FS 595 Color Server and type those numbers in... you'll be pretty shocked by the differences! On my screen, your MM colour looks close to FS 35177 - so it's certainly in the ballpark (or one of them! LOL!).

If you're worried it looks too light, remember that it will probably darken up a bit as you weather it. Personally, I'd be happy with the colour - it's a great looking build! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

All the best

Rowan
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

Rowan, when I click on your link I get a "page could not be displayed" error. Thanks for your advice, though.

Thanks, Derek. I like the kit quite a bit. It is probably the best 1/48 a/c kit I have ever worked with. It could probably use some PE in the cockpit, though (I don't know if anyone makes any). Another problem, if you're building the -3 variant, then you'll need to call up AM and get replacements for the cowling, as they are wrong in the kit. Also check to see if you have all your parts, as I was missing the whole "A" sprue.

Thanks!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

when I click on your link I get a "page could not be displayed" error.

There's one H too much in the address, hhttp instead of http.
http://www.colorserver.net/
Should work now.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 07:52 AM UTC
Cheers Eetu

The original link is duly fixed now.

All the best

Rowan
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thanks for your help, guys. I repainted it, adding a little French Blue to the Blue-gray. I think it turned out pretty well.

BTW, I'm building this for the "Rumble in the East Asian Sky" campaign, so If you want to see completed pics, then check out the campaign gallery or mine to see them. I'll try to post one here, if I remember.
 _GOTOTOP