_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Tamiya 1:48 F16CJ
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:38 PM UTC
I just ordered this kit online. Should be here in about a week. I don't plan to start it as soon as it gets here(ok maybe a little bit), what is available for this and where can I get it cheap? Assuming the cockpit needs any improvement. Mainly the guages and seatbelts(if needed) that I am interested in making look good. Aside from that, I'm not too fond of the traditional scheme. Anyone have any idea's here? Any solid gray schemes? My aircraft experience is limited, and I don't want to basically destroy such a nice and expensive kit, by mucking up the finish. I would basically just need to get markings and a photo or two of the solid gray aircraft if they exist. Or any solid color. I don't really want to do any camo schemes on this one. I know the standard scheme is only a very basic camo(if it can be called that), but not wanting to do it. Any help is appreciated.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
Michael,

I just looked on Great Models web site and they have LOADS of stuff for the F-16 in your scale. I have been getting most of my stuff from them and they have been, well, great! As for schemes, they also have books on the aircraft that may show some paint jobs not seen on the web. Good luck and post some pics when you get to that stage!

-Derek
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch. I couldn't find what I was looking for, until I took a suspected part with no picture and searched for it elseware. A German site had the FE 383 PE set up, WITH pictures. Exactly what I was looking for and it's for the Tamiya kit I just purchased, so yay me. I was considering the Big Ed super Set, but decided not to press my luck. If all goes well I will probably purchase another one of these plus the Big Ed Kit, in the future.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC
Michael,

Probably a good idea to hold off on the Big-Ed kits. All the PE that is included can be daunting if you have not played with that stuff before. I'm just getting to the point of being comfortable with Eduard's PE cockpit zooms.

-Derek
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
Well I've been using PE for years on auto's. I even have created some of my own PE parts. I started photoetching by etching my own circuit boards for college science fair type of thing at the age of 16(yes I was in college for electronics engineering at that tender age, and sadly was the most mature in the class). I started to use PE parts from a carb linkage and detail set(including the complicated linkage from a Rochester Quadrapuke as I like to call them). I have then made some of my own. I've used PE on armor models as well, just never on aircraft.

Michael
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
Thinking of ordering the Eagle Strike Decals Dutch Huntress Diana set, but unsure if they are appropriate for the CJ model. Trying to find out now. I am ordering some Zimmerit for another kit I have and would like to order some decals from the same place at the same time, to save on shipping costs. Hopefully I can find out if these markings would be correct for an F-16CJ.

*EDIT*
Bummer, turns out it's for the F-16A. Too bad as these would be GREAT on this kit.
jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
There Isn't a whole lot in the tamiya kit that needs to be improved. They look good right out of the box. Egypt has a single color paint scheme and I think Kuwait does also.
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:23 AM UTC
Aye it does look good out of the box. I think the Zoom set by Eduard is more then sufficiant for the cockpit. The exterior detail set adds a few pieces, but nothing that couldn't be scratchbuilt from thin sheet styrene. The markings are kinda bland though. I would love to have some more colorful markings for this ubgger, but it seems all the colorful markings are on A's, B's, and C's.
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 06:05 PM UTC
Well a couple of pictures of the thing with the Eduard Zoom interior set installed. I am rather satisfied with it. The installation could have been done better but it's my first PE interior set. We all have to start somewhere and it still looks good.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
I love those Big Ed sets. If I use one, the build seems to drag on for months instead of weeks. But if I manage to complete the build, without losing interest, it really looks good. The thing to remember with photoetch is that you really don't have to use every piece. You may want to, but you don't have to.

Build looks great so far.

Have fun.
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
Since I just picked up the interior, I did use nearly every piece. I think I've got most of the parts glued on that need to be before painting. I need to double check, then get off my butt and paint it. Then mask off the gear wells and paint them, then paint the gear, install, weather and complete. It does look really good so far though. I need to make sure to get in and scrape out the panel lines and all the rivets, so I can highlight them.
fantacmet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 08:49 PM UTC
I've got most of it assembled now. Second coat of the light ghost gray on it. Next up some masking, then some dark ghost gray, then some more masking and then the gunship gray. After that some brush painting with some gunship gray, then I get to assemble and paint all the ordinance. Soe more masking, and painting of the gear wells, and gear, thens lap it all together, finishing touches, etc. Then done. Hopefully I will have it completed before I leave for training in the new Job which is December 27th. If not I hope to at least have the painting done and I can take the bugger with me for final assembly.
Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 05:07 PM UTC
I know I'm getting into this thread kinda late, but the Tamiya Kit is a Blk 50, check out Two Bobs web site for some Blk50 Jets, he has a few sheets out.

The Big Ed set will not be appropriate for a blk 50 a/c, it is set up for blk 30/40 airframes and has the external reinforcement plates, these do not appear on a blk 50 airframe as these mods have been done internally.

The placards look good, this kit really does not need much, the photo etch is the minimum this kit needs, some will do with an Avionics pit, I only have one of these kits (at this time ) and don't have any plans to build it soon, but I most likely will put in a A/M pit, be aware that the current Avionics pit for this kit is from their Hasegawa offering just tweaked a bit to fit into the Tamiya kit, I don't know if they have any plans to do a new tooling for the Tamiya kit, so maybe another manufacturer might be a better alternative.

I know your well past that stage but I just had to add my 2 cents for anyone else following your build.
HTH Curt
 _GOTOTOP