_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1:48 Hurricane & Spitfire Mk.Vb Diorama
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:09 AM UTC
Here is my Hurricane, Spitfire + Pilots & Ground Personnel diorama.
Please tell me what you think of it and anyway I can improve it.

Cheers,
Dave
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
David,

Very, very good job. What kits are they? And what scale? The only thing I can think of would be to have more variation on the ground. Different types of grass and the like. I don't know if it is too late but maybe some variation of topography, little mounds just to add texture. Other than that it looks great!

Also, I notice you are new here, welcome and I hope to see more of your work.

-Derek
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi David!

Wow! Nice work!

These are the 1/48 scale ICM RAF figures but some accessories are not from the set. Could you tell us where they come from?
Like Derek said I would add some variations to the ground, maybe some tufts. Silflor has made some (see review here ). If you are interested, Mark58, a French display base manufacturer, has a RAF Dispersal Pen set in his catalogue (see here ).

I noticed the pictures have been resized. It seems they are too big. Try to post pictures not bigger than 800 X 600 in the forums if you can.

Anyway, it's great to see such an ambitious and interesting diorama. Maybe you could send us some pictures for an On display?

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:55 AM UTC
Great diorama. It is good laid out although the ground seems a little plain and there are some "open spaces" in the diorama. However, that is just small nick picks. Overall it is a great diorama.

Thanks for sharing
letalo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC
Well, you don't state which kits you used, but there was never ever a Hurricane with four 20 mm + two 40 mm cannons so this puts the diorama in Science Fiction category
Although, a nice job done
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David!

Wow! Nice work!

These are the 1/48 scale ICM RAF figures but some accessories are not from the set. Could you tell us where they come from?
Like Derek said I would add some variations to the ground, maybe some tufts. Silflor has made some (see review here ). If you are interested, Mark58, a French display base manufacturer, has a RAF Dispersal Pen set in his catalogue (see here ).

I noticed the pictures have been resized. It seems they are too big. Try to post pictures not bigger than 800 X 600 in the forums if you can.

Anyway, it's great to see such an ambitious and interesting diorama. Maybe you could send us some pictures for an On display?

Jean-Luc

The Spitfire Mk.Vb is from Tamiya And the Hurricane is by Hobbycraft.

The other accessories that did not come from the ICM kit are an assortment of bits and pieces.
Jerry Cans & Fuel Drums, tarps and bags are Tamiya, the Anvil & Hammer, toolboxes, blow torch, work bench with vise are Tamiya also but from the German Field Maintenance kit.
The Boxes are model railway stuff and the 2 machine guns are unused parts from a ICM Spitfire.

Cheers,
Dave
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,

Very, very good job. What kits are they? And what scale? The only thing I can think of would be to have more variation on the ground. Different types of grass and the like. I don't know if it is too late but maybe some variation of topography, little mounds just to add texture. Other than that it looks great!

Also, I notice you are new here, welcome and I hope to see more of your work.

-Derek

The topography would be hard to change but there is variation in the grasses, its just hard to tell from the photos.
(The lighting was not the best for taking pictures.)

Here is a photo that shows the grasses variation better.

Cheers,
Dave
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC
Just for fun I Photo Shopped a backgound and Bf109 with my Tamiya Spitfire, here is what I came up with.

Cheers,
Dave
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looks really good. I like the extra cannon on the Hurri maybe something they could have tried on Malta.
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
I love the arial photo you've done cool idea. Was it easy to do or did you need some special software? Like the diorama as well. Have you got motors in the aitcraft to make the props spin?
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the arial photo you've done cool idea. Was it easy to do or did you need some special software? Like the diorama as well. Have you got motors in the aitcraft to make the props spin?

Nah, it was easy to do.
(My printer came with photo-editing software included.)

No motors, I just used the air-hose from my airbrush blowing air onto the props to make them spin.

Cheers,
Dave
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just for fun I Photo Shopped a backgound and Bf109 with my Tamiya Spitfire, here is what I came up with.

Hi Dave!

I know people here who will probably ask you "how on earth can the Bf 109 be behind the Spitfire" and not the contrary!

Nice artwork though...

Jean-Luc
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi David,

I love airfield scenes and think that you hve done a great job. However, the tree stump seems to be 'floating' on top of the ground! Maybe the shadows helped me to notice.

Overall good job!
alanmac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David,

I love airfield scenes and think that you hve done a great job. However, the tree stump seems to be 'floating' on top of the ground! Maybe the shadows helped me to notice.

Overall good job!

Probably because they are not supposed to be tree stumps fixed in the ground, as in previously growing there, but sections of tree trunk cut and used as workbenches to raise the anvils to a higher level. Like big log sections, placed on the ground like the oil drums etc.

Alan

_GOTOTOP