_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Jaguar or Buccaneer
Sandbox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC
Does anyone make 1/48 or larger scale kits of either of these? I picked up the Airfix 1/48 of the Jaguar but was wondering what else is available.
Jezmondo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
I didn't realise that Airfix made a 1/48 version of the Jaguar - proves how much I take notice!! When did Airfix bring that out? Was it recently?

I've just picked up a 1/72 Tamiya version of the Jaguar - but I guess that's not much use to you Sandbox!!
hoplocat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 119 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 07:10 PM UTC
Airfix has or had a 1/48 Buccaneer. You may have to check evilbay or something.

The 1/48 Jaguar is a re-boxed ESCI, so is the SAAB Viggen.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
I believe the Jaguar is actually a Heller kit, from the period when Airfix and Heller were both under Humbrol and co-operated over new moulds. The nose is the only major difference from Heller’s original Jaguar A. It’s a fair bit better than the old Esci job.

The Buccaneer should still be fairly readily available, either in the shops (depending where you are) or on eBay at tolerable prices. You’ll want to watch out for one feature, though. When it was reissued last year there was a cock-up at the factory that led to every box containing two full kits as well as the (intended) full cross-section of decals. This has the advantage of giving you one to practise on as you fight the two fuselage halves together. But it has the disadvantage of raising the price for what appears to be a bog-standard box. So if you see one for sale, I’d ask whether it’s one of the odd ones.

seán
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
If you want to see how bad the Buc can be to build check out my build thread Here

I wasn't fortunate to get two complete sets as a sprue is missing and as for the jag I have the Esci boxing somewhere in my stash and from what I remember looks like a reasonable kit
Sandbox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC
Thank you for your input. I started to read the tread on the Buccaneer. Very interesting.
I wonder why the Tornado got all the kit maker's attention and the Jaguar and Buccaneer did not. They are about the same era. I know at least three 1/32 kits of the Tonrado and one 1/48.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder why the Tornado got all the kit maker's attention and the Jaguar and Buccaneer did not. They are about the same era. I know at least three 1/32 kits of the Tonrado and one 1/48.

Goodness only knows. Fashion? It has to be said, the Buccaneer is at least one generation behind the Tornado and was really only used by the UK (if you don’t count a dozen in South Africa), so perhaps it doesn’t have enough sales appeal. Except, obviously, for Airfix, but flogging slightly ropey kits to a small UK market isn’t going to make much money. As for the Jaguar … slightly better coverage, but not much, considering the wealth of interesting colour schemes that’s available. I personally wouldn’t mind a Jaguar IM with the radar nose.

But when it comes down to it, the post-war stuff that sells best is American or very modern or, preferably, both. That’s why you can sometimes barely move for F-4s or F-14s or F-16s (though its still doesn't explain the glaring lack of a decent F2H). And don’t get me started on the Bf 109. The chances of our seeing a decent injection-moulded Javelin or Sea Vixen are pretty slender. But then again, five years ago, who would have predicted that there would be three 1/48 Wyverns on the market? We can but hope.

seán
 _GOTOTOP