_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F-84G Thunderjet
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
This is my f-84 Thunderjet. It is the Tamiya 1/72 scale which I built OOB. It went together very well with little filling or sanding required. It was aitbrushed with Revell ready mixed silver paint. It was the first time i've used ready mixed and it seemed to go on better than the Humbrol paints I normally use. This is the first time i've used the Tamiya fine sandpaper to get a good finish and I only managed to lose a few of the panel lines.
If you view this please leave a message. I'm starting to think no one likes me

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
Nice looking A/C. Are you planning on doing some panel lining and washes? It'll be interesting to compare this with Sam (Camogirl) as she is building the same kit (after she pinched it off me) at the moment.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Chris.

As allen says a wash to bring out the panel lines would help. Have you used setting solution on the decals, they don't seem to follow the panel lines well, but that could be the photo. A nice model.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Looks good - it surely is a colourful aircraft. Strange how camouflage was suddenly given up after WWII and then "invented" again during Vietnam.

Thanks for sharing
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies
I did use Micro sol for the decals but it seemed to make them very brittle and it took me ages to try to but the bigger ones back together in some cases from tiny bits. As for a wash. I'm not very good at these. I tried using tamiya smoke but it didn't look right with the silver paint. I also tried using a oil dark grey and that just looked silly. I also find that with the oil paints whenever I then go over it with Future it makes the wash run out of the lines even if I leave it to dry for days. If anyone can help with what colour wash would look good with silver and tips on stopping it spreading onto the model please post a note.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
Very colourfull Chris, nice nmf too
Your comment about oil washes caught my attention. Usually after an oil wash the last thing I do is matt varnish, but on the nmf build Im working on at the moment Im going to be adding a coat of Klear over the wash.
What have you been using to thin the oil paints?,How long have you been leaving it to dry, and are you brushing or spraying the Klear?
So many questions,,
Nige
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:37 AM UTC
Have you tried using a very sharp HB pencil to do panel lines? It doesn't always look right for all finishes...but for NMF it may be ok. I use that method for some models where the panel lines are very fine/indistinct- which makes it hard to hold a wash.

The model still looks great though. It was a good era for colourful schemes.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Just wanted to say I really like you Thunderjet! I want to get into building some of the early jets myself. Good job, good finish. Glad to see more of your work. All the best. Russell

P.S. Really like what I believe are JATO bottles attached to the bottom of the fuselage just aft of the trailing edge of the wing. Neat stuff.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:12 PM UTC
Very impressive job, I’m a fan of the hi-viz markings. You say your oil washed run outside the panel lines, maybe the mixture was to thin, try thicken it up some, also you might consider using a light gray oil wash. Great job…

Joe
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
I like it . In fact think I might find one to build myself. But in a larger scale if it is made anyway. Makes my life easier as then I can see it.
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Nigel In answer to your questions
1. I've been using white spirit to thin my oil paints. 2. I usually leave it at least 24 hours and have left it for days before and it stil smudged. 3. I have always hand brushed with KLEAR as I wasn't sure if it would go through my airbrush and clog it up as i've only got a cheap single action revell one. I also used to use varnish but that was before I found this site and about how to make panel lines stand out. I then went over to covering with future and then dulling down if needed with Testors dullcote. Having thought about it I have used Dullcote straight on top on the wash before. Could that be why some of my washes are running?

I did try once to use a pencil but could never seem to get it into the panel lines. I also tred using graphite sticks ground down to powder but again it just seemed to wash out again or not stick at all to the paint. Perahps I'm trying to many methods and should just try to perfect one first.
Thanks for all the help and advice keep it coming
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC
Looks great. I did a 1/48 F-84 that can be seen under the Cold War section. I only got one comment. I dont think it is you. I think people dont like Thunderjets.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. I've been using white spirit to thin my oil paints. 2. I usually leave it at least 24 hours and have left it for days before and it stil smudged.

I've always used Windsor & Newton oil paint (payne's grey colour) for the oil and I've found it best to thin it with pure turpentine (available for art shops). I normally go for a slightly thicker mix a little thicker than milk), apply it into the panel recesses and leave it for an hour or so. Then wipe away any excess with cotton buds (Q-tips) but wipe across the recess not down it and this will leave the oil wash in the recess. Then it's left for 24 hours and then varnished with the relevant dullcoat or klear through the airbrush.

Hope this makes sense but it's hard to explain my technique with out pictures.
 _GOTOTOP