_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Advice for an absolute beginner.
TylerFerretLord
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
I only recently started this hobby, and as I'm sure you are all expecting, my first model turned out... Bad. But I still love it, and It's going on my shelf, so I can bask in it's terrible glory.

So, I'm pretty sure I did just about everything wrong.

I could use any advice you can give me, however minor it may be. A few questions I have are:

ANy suggestions for an easy model?
Do I need to prime?
Acrylics or enamels? (I already bought a bunch of enamels, so I hope it's the latter. )
SHould I paint while parts are still on the sprues?
I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to paint out of the pots, is this true?

And anything else you think I could use?

My current supplies(in case you wanted to know):

Mr.CEMENT DELUXE (Found this one to be the best of the three I tried out)
Testors cement pen
Testors cement tube(learned the hard way not to us this one. )
Craft knife
Several testors enamel paints, and thinner
Glosscote and dullcote (need the thinner for it, packaging says it need to be thinned)
Several brushes, natural and artificial(artifcials are MUCH easier to clean.)
a couple of sandpaper sheets
Squadron white putty

Thanks for any advice!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hi there. Thought I'd add my two cents.
As for paints I recommend acrylics. Model Master makes a wide selection of colors, Polly Scale is also a good choice. They are easy to use, easy to clean up, and relatively safe to use as well.
As for glue, most of the modelers I know use one of several glues which include, Tenax, Ambroid, or Plastruct glue. These are very thin glues which are easily applied with a brush and give an excellent bond between plastic pieces. Find them at your hobby store.
Invest in a cheap brush to apply these glues with, it will last forever.
Invest in some good brushes, such as camel hair and sable brushes availabe at your local hobby shop. Sometimes they are a bit expensive, three to six dollars a brush, but are worth the investment.
Are you brush painting or spraying with a can, or airbrush?
I always prime my models in order to show any flaws that otherwise don't show up easily.
Don't give up, everyone starts slow at first but you will find your work will improve if you keep at it.
I build aircraft kits, in1/72 scale and find that Tamiya is a good but at around fifteen to twenty dollars a kit for this scale. Academy are also good kits, but sometimes the decals can be problematic at best. Although I have a P-40 which I built and had no trouble at all with the decals. So it can depend.
Revell of Germany, which comes in an overall blue box are often nice kits at reasonable prices as well.
It really depends on subject matter as to which direction to look in for kits.
Aeroscale is a great resource and I recommend you use it often. You can always find some help here from someone.
If you want an airbrush, the Aztek is what I use and I get good results with it. You can get an internal mix (paint and air mixed inside the brush) and a double action, press down for air pull back for paint; for around a hundered dollars or even less. A small air compressor to drive your airbrush can be useful as well and you just have to look around and price what you can afford. The airbrush allows you to use any color you wish and allows you great control in doing things like drawing camoflauge onto an aircraft. So if you don't have one yet, think about getting one.
Always gloss coat your models with gloss coat of course, before you decal your model kit. This provides a gloss surface to allow your models decals to adhere better and conform easier to the model. After application of decals, use some decal setting solution to help the decal set onto the model. Some people with also use softening agent, but it is a matter of choice. I have found that setting solution works well for me by itself. After your decals have dried, apply a spray of dull coat over the entire model, if you are building military subjects, and it will bring down the shine and help the model have a more natural appearance. Sealing the decals onto the model as well.
Filling seams can be an art form. When glueing two fuselage halfs together I generally use a little putty or super glue to then be sanded down with sand paper I get at Wal-Mart or someplace like that. I start with something rough like maybe 240 grit, or 320, and work down to 600 and even lower if necessary. I recommend wet/dry sand paper because it is easier to use, and a little water on the sand paper makes sanding that much easier.
Filling wings roots, the joint between the fuselage and wings, can be optional with todays good kits. I like to leave a natural line between these parts. The real aircraft are assembled like big model kits. You will get an arguement from some that this isn't acceptable, but I've turned out some good looking kits this way. Same goes for the horizontal stabilizer (tail) parts as well. If they fit tight leave them alone my advice.
Well, hope this helps. Others may agree or disagree but I thought I'd say hi and wish you luck on your builds.
What do you want to build next? Take care. Russell
Removed by original poster on 09/21/07 - 09:56:38 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/21/07 - 09:57:53 (GMT).
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 03:12 PM UTC
Siderius is quit right!
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC
Welcome Tyler,

Some great advice there from Russell, especially about 1/72 kits. Revell make some excellent kits offering great value at this scale. Bigger scales can seem daunting when you're starting off.
Getting an airbrush is also something worth doing if you feel you really want to stick with modelling. Get something basic to start with, a single-action brush is what I would recommend for a complete beginner like yourself. Finally don't be discouraged if things take a while to 'take off'. Remember that many of the modellers here have been doing this for a very long time and that's why they can produce such outstanding work. So stick with it and don't be afraid to ask any questions, people here are very helpful,
All the best ,
Mike
UncleBuncle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC
Tyler : One suggestion I would make is to stay within a given scale once you decide what type of models you are going to build . As an example , 1/72 scale aircraft provide a great variety , are of a reasonable size when completed and yet small enough that a display cabinet doesn't fill too quickly . From another point of view , 1/48 scale aircraft are more expensive , fill the cabinet very quickly but are much easier to handle while building and provide amazing detail . Never hang the models from the ceiling unless you like dust.
I hope these ideas help
Uncle Buncle
young_ace
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Welcome to the hobby!
A bit of info that might help is that airfix models usually say the skill levels from 1-5. (1 being the easiest) Go to www.airfix.com and they not only have models, they have evrything you'll ever need.
Good luck and hope this helps.
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Tyler
I've been back to modeling for about 4 or 5 years now and I still consider myself a rank beginner. Compared to some of the work here, I'm not even that highly ranked! LOL+

I've found that the main thing you need to build well is patience. Also, when you have finished your 3rd for 4th kit compare it to your first build. Look for the little things that you have improved on and give yourself a pat on the back for the improvements. Do not focus on the things that haven't, but try on your next build to improve those, too. With each kit, I try to add a new technique, and I can sure see the difference between my first and last kits that I have built.

I met a guy once who was building a ship. He was using Testor's tube glue and I think his model was about half glue and half melted plastic. He was proud as heck on his work even thought it was not pretty. (Looked like it had been hit by a few torpedoes.) But the main thing is is that he was happy with his work and had the confidence to continue.
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He was proud as heck on his work even thought it was not pretty. (Looked like it had been hit by a few torpedoes.) But the main thing is is that he was happy with his work and had the confidence to continue.

That's the spirit
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been back to modeling for about 4 or 5 years now and I still consider myself a rank beginner. Compared to some of the work here, I'm not even that highly ranked! LOL+

Augie - I consider myself in the same boat, a rank amateur / beginner when I compare my work to some of the work that has been posted on AeroScale. Oh, and I've been building models for 50 years.
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tyler

I met a guy once who was building a ship. He was using Testor's tube glue and I think his model was about half glue and half melted plastic. He was proud as heck on his work even thought it was not pretty. (Looked like it had been hit by a few torpedoes.) But the main thing is is that he was happy with his work and had the confidence to continue.

As stated above, that is the most important thing - your own satisfaction! I don't think I've ever built a model that I could not find fault with, but after awhile on the shelf, you can look at it and say that it looks pretty good!! Now compared to some of the models seen here and at shows, I am no more than a true rookie, even though I have been doing it longer than I care to remember!!

Just enjoy what you do - otherwise it becomes a chore and it is soon given up!!
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC
enjoy it and however it turns out is prefect... I cannot even come close to what these guys do but heck it is relaxing and I don't usually wind up damaging any of my more important parts. Like I did skiing and things.
 _GOTOTOP