_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Doped Aluminium?????
xFOX_HOUNDx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC
I recently got the Avia kit from Eduard and the paint scheme calls for a doped aluminium on the under surfaces. I searched alclad and testors but found no such color. Where could I get this shade? What exactly is it? Is there a suitable substitute? Thank you!
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Dave
"Silverdop" in my eyes is a grey/silver paint. try this link they have the silver dope.
http://www.misterkitusa.com/e3064dad-4839-4c2e-8569-42630fe6de2d-9.html
Or mix the dope yourself by mixing some silver/grey and white.I´ll use Humbrols so for me the numbers are Siler 11, grey64, white 34. can´t give you any %, but mix white and the grey, and then add the silver, a little at the time , then you can stop when you like the colour, aim for a light grey with some silver in it. Here´s a Nieuport I did last year.

All the best
Lars
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Doping refers to the application of paint and / or resin to a fabric covered area. I don't think you will find any manufacture who has a Doped Aluminum color in their product line, as it would simply be Aluminum paint over fabric. I would recommend you use one of the semi gloss or satin finish Aluminum metalizer products out there. Either Alclad or Testors should do the trick.

P.S. Oops missed Lars post. On WWI aircraft the color would look more gray due to the paint formulation, actually I think it resembles Pewter ? Alclad's Dark Aluminum may be of help in that case ?
xFOX_HOUNDx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks guys! BTW Beautiful Model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP