_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Damaged Decals
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
Fellow Stringbaggers,
I have just received a Blue Max Halberstadt CL.II and was saddened to see that some of the decals had cracked. What methods can I use to restore them if this is possible?
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne;

It depends on how badly cracked. Testors has a spray gloss just for decals that you could spray on before you cut them away from the sheet. Otherwise you could try writing the company. I haven't had much luck with them. You could scan them onto a laser safe clear decal film nd try that. "Kinkos" will do it if you can prove the sheets are lazer safe. Good luck.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen, I'll give the spray a try. I'm not sure if the decal sheets from Blue Max are laser safe. They are cracked in a few places, the crosses can be replaced but the individual aircraft markings are a different story. Hey, worse comes to worse, I'll be hand painting flames on my Halberstadt.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 01:32 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne;

Its the clear decal film you are copying to that needs to be laser safe.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hey Dwayne,

What a shame I just swapped my Pegasus 5 colour lozenge sheets for a Hitech Sopwith Snipe!
I have a few older sheets of Pegasus/Blue max decals, they have stood the test of time well. But you have to be really careful using them, they are thin and very fragile.
I would try Stephens Spray idea. You might find you have to touch up later with paint, but the spray should keep the decals in one piece.

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dwayne,
What a shame I just swapped my Pegasus 5 colour lozenge sheets for a Hitech Sopwith Snipe! . . .Cheers, Hugh

Hey Hugh how do the wings look on the Hi-Tech kit?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hey Stephen,

In a word, Warped!, but I have heard that that is easily fixed by subtle application of aqueous heat. The surface detail is pretty rank on the wings also, although the detail and texture on the other parts seems fine.

It will be an good basis though for a conversion to a Salamander.

As I stated elsewhere, I have built the Blue max kit and loved it. I would reccomend the Blue max Kit over the Hitech kit based on what is in the box... Even with the price difference.

Cheers,

Hugh
 _GOTOTOP