_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Have you noticed new Eduard's FW190 kit?
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
Have you guys noticed Eduard's new 1/48 FW-190 kit? It's Sturmjager version of their FW-190A-8 (as far as I understand).

Here's the link to the subject. And here's Eduard's news page.
nmayhew
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
looks great!

do the rammjager plates come molded on to the sides of the fuselage? i looked through teh instructions and couldn't see any extra parts, so i assume they are, right?
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:39 AM UTC
I also haven't noticed any instructions on armour plates, but I don't think they come molded as the last profile shows orange Allies captured FW-190 without armour plates. So I guess they'll be photoetched.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 05:16 AM UTC
Since there's no mention of the extra armor on the instructions, I would suspect they're moulded-on. Take the wings on Eduards 190's for example. They provided different wings for different versions, where some other manufacturers feature one set of wings where separate armament panels are glued on.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi

Rowan already spread the news a few days before you

As for the armour plates: they are molded on (I have seen such a fuselage, when the A-8 first came out) .. I guess the kit will come with two sets of fuselages and maybe also wings ...

best wishes

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
Fantastic. I probably need to build the ones I have to make room for this one.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi all

Eduard have very kindly sent us a sample of the new 'A-8/R2. That's the good news - the bad news is that the UK is just about to be hit by a postal strike (starting to bite today). The prediction is that deliveries could be knocked out for up to a week - but rest assured, I'll get on with the Review as soon as the kit arrives.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:10 PM UTC
Looks good. It will probably be another winner. My stash of Eduard FW-190s is growing rapidly

Thanks for the update
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good. It will probably be another winner. My stash of Eduard FW-190s is growing rapidly

Thanks for the update

Me to, Jesper. 190s and D.VIIs. If they ever get the Dr.Is to market, them to.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:31 PM UTC

..looks like it'll be a nice kit .. but I have to say it .. another poor set of decal choices from Eduard...whats the point of trying to find 'new subjects' if they are entirely spurious...even the box art scheme is no more than an 'artists impression' - Spenst's 'Black 10' wasn't profiled in the new JG 300 book as there are no pics of the rear of the a/c..
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi Neil

what about the machine of Werner Gerth .. I have seen a profile of this machine on your site .. does that mean it is proven to be Gerths mount (or is it just the background machine in the Wochenschau footage?)

Thank you! ... I am tempted to buy it and your answer would help (I cannot check my own refs as they are 750 km away )

viele Gruesse

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

does that mean it is proven to be Gerths mount (or is it just the background machine in the Wochenschau footage?)

.....the caption for my original artwork - see Scale Aircraft Modelling March 2001 ..."This profile shows what may have been Werner Gerth's Fw 190A-8/R2 in July 1944. The source for this image is the well known still taken from the Wochenschau footage."....

..while the machine was at least photgraphed, my 'conclusion' was based on a number of assumptions, not least the fact that Gerth was the Staka featured in the footage alongside Dahl and Moritz... since the Eaglecals sheet this assumption has taken on a life of its own somehow !

link to the Sturmpiloten page on my site if interested

http://members.aol.com/kaczmarek190/sturmpiloten.htm

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
Many thanks Neil!!!

In case the link still does not work: http://members.aol.com/kaczmarek190/sturmpiloten.htm

viele Gruesse

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
....my point was that I personally would have much preferred some documented schemes on the decal sheet even if some of the more well known..(I haven't got the Tamiya kit or the Eaglecals sheets..) - quality rather than quantity ..is it that Eduard expects anyone buying these kits to already have a decent stash ?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the additional explanation ..

I bet there will be a special edition with Bretschneider, Moritz, Maximowitz and Schröder. Honestly I like a little variation but as you pointed out, I too prefer c&m that are based on photographs /historical data (while some artistic license is always involved).

When you need something from the Tamiya sheet, let me know. I built Moritz' aircraft and have the rest in my pile (somewhere). I will either build Gerth's(?) "black 13" or Weik's "white 7" .... but there are a LOT of other started/ half finished projects to complete first

best wishes

Steffen
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
I guess there're still some questions if you mention Bretschneider A-8 "Rauhbautz". For example, I still not sure if the engine lower cowl was red or yellow. Any thoughts?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi Arseny

The lower cowling was definitely not red!!! They were yellow or 76. One may argue that the yellow was not always 04 ...

There are later pictures of the a/c that show it without armour and with a new engine (I want to add here that the cowling was fixed to the engine and not to the airframe --- this was later introduced with the Ta 152 )

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC
..I won't post it here but there is a very nice 'new' close-up of Bretschneider standing in front of one of his 190s in the new JG 300 history (Vol II) - it's clear to see that there is no tonal variation on the lower cowl at all...other better known pics also show this such as this one...note red fuselage band, primer spots on cowl, gear leg and under the cockpit where the fuselage armour has been removed..

...now doesn't that make you wish Eduard had chosen some better subjects on their decal sheet ..!

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Neil

very interesting photo (and a nice reminder to buy vol2 ). Some points for everyone who wants to build the a/c in this stage of its life.

• fuselage MG channels covered
  • outboard 3cm weapons
  • darker spots on the fuselage, where the armour had been attached
  • armoured windscreen
  • full radio equipment: Moranemast, DF loop and the short antenna behind (forgot which it was IFF?)
  • oil covered lower cowling and belly tank

many thanks for posting!

cheers

Steffen
  • Roxter
    _VISITCOMMUNITY
    Rigas, Latvia
    Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC
    Thanx colleagues!

May be we should a whole new thread dedicated to A-8's of JG300?

I'm working on Bretscheider's A-8, but I have already placed armour plates on the fuselage. I really like that particular a/c with that "Rauhbautz" logo.

Steffen, I guess IFF antena was also known as FuG24?

So if I plan to build "Rauhbautz" A-8 - I also have to left the lower cowling painted in rlm 76, right? I also wonder if the propeller should be red with white spiral (Tamiya's suggestion on the particular colour scheme)?

By the way, I always wanted to know what is "Kolle Allaf"?

Anyway, thanx for help!
    FalkeEins
    _VISITCOMMUNITY
    Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanx colleagues!

I'm working on Bretscheider's A-8, but I have already placed armour plates on the fuselage. I really like that particular a/c with that "Rauhbautz" logo.

here's some links you might find interesting

Bretschneider

A-8 Sturm fighters of JG 300

Ernst Schroeder
    alpha_tango
    _VISITCOMMUNITY
    Germany
    Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:01 PM UTC
    Hi Arseny

as for the rearmost antenna. Re-thinking it I would say it is the antenna for the FuG 16 (or variants)

Edit:
    This was BS. The Moranemast belongs to FuG 16ZY. The small dipole is for the FuG25a IFF

Here is another site about LW radio equipment: http://www.agder.net/la8ak/e.htm and FuG 16: http://www.noding.com/la8ak/29b.htm

BTW I found a site, which I cannot read as it is French: http://www.fockewulf190.net/fr/fockewf/equipfr/avionic.htm

Hmm, "Kölle Allaf" ... thats a little tricky to explain:

Especially in the "Ruhrgebiet" industry area there is the tradition to celebrate carnival. During this festivities there are special "exclamations" and in Cologne (Kölle) it's "Kölle Allaf" ... I have read a long explanation somewhere, but I guess it is of minor interest here .. it means Cologne before all other ... hope that makes sense

best wishes

Steffen

SGTJKJ
    _VISITCOMMUNITY
    Kobenhavn, Denmark
    KitMaker: 10,069 posts
    AeroScale: 3,788 posts
    Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanx colleagues!

Or maybe a sticky page for the FW 190? - just like one has been made for the P-47.

Thanks for all the infomation, guys.

It is great.
     _GOTOTOP