_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Douglas Bader Spitfire Help
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hey guys:

It's been quite awhile since I've posted here. I'm afraid work and life in general have kept me away from the modeling table far longer than I would have liked. I hope all of you are doing well and advancing in your modeling abilities and having fun doing it!

As I slowly toy with the idea of picking up a model for the first time in many months, I'm thinking of starting a project for a coworker/friend. He has a painting of Douglas Bader's Spitfire Mk Va. I'm planning on doing a 1/48 scale diorama of that plane for him.

Here's the question...I seem to only be able to find a Mk Vb out there (namely Tamiya's). I was wondering if the external differences between the "a" and "b" are that great, or can a "b" variant pass for an "a"? If I've read correctly Douglas Bader's plane was lacking cannons and the ability to carry bombs. Is this true of all Mk Va's or is that variation specific to his plane?

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to getting my fingers glued together again and spilling paint on my clothes...it's been far too long!

Cheers!

John

P.S. Oh, and of course I'll need decals as well. I saw a set that had several British Aces on it, but haven't found any that are just for Bader's plane.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys:

It's been quite awhile since I've posted here. I'm afraid work and life in general have kept me away from the modeling table far longer than I would have liked. I hope all of you are doing well and advancing in your modeling abilities and having fun doing it!

As I slowly toy with the idea of picking up a model for the first time in many months, I'm thinking of starting a project for a coworker/friend. He has a painting of Douglas Bader's Spitfire Mk Va. I'm planning on doing a 1/48 scale diorama of that plane for him.

Here's the question...I seem to only be able to find a Mk Vb out there (namely Tamiya's). I was wondering if the external differences between the "a" and "b" are that great, or can a "b" variant pass for an "a"? If I've read correctly Douglas Bader's plane was lacking cannons and the ability to carry bombs. Is this true of all Mk Va's or is that variation specific to his plane?

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to getting my fingers glued together again and spilling paint on my clothes...it's been far too long!

Cheers!

John

P.S. Oh, and of course I'll need decals as well. I saw a set that had several British Aces on it, but haven't found any that are just for Bader's plane.

All "A" models carried eight .303 browning machine guns as armament. Modifications must be made to the wings, such as eliminating the bulges for the cannon breeches, as well as modifying the armament.

John
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hey John, thanks for the info.

Do you think I would be better off starting with a Mk II then instead of a Mk Vb? Or is the Mk II too different in outside appearance to the Mk Va?

I've tried to do a search for the differences, but am not finding what I need.

Thanks again for your help!

John
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 02:59 AM UTC
You can use either a Ia, or IIa, since they were identical, in length and wingspan, to the Va. The only really noticeable differences are that you'll need the larger Mk.V oil cooler, and there should not be an aerial from the mast to the rudder. IFF aerials (both sides) ran from just aft of the radio hatch to the outer extremities of the tailplanes. If you use a IIa, don't fit the small bulge, on the starboard engine cowling, just behind the propellor. Also, Bader was one of the first to have metal, rather than fabric, covered ailerons.
Edgar
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:55 AM UTC
Good choice of subject matter. I read a book by and about DRB when I was pre-teen. He was always one of my heroes.
 _GOTOTOP